Chapter Two

Hey readers! Just letting you know that I love feedback, so please leave a comment after reading!!!!!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Carter's POV

After that girl bumped into me this morning, Veronica had been doing nothing but making fun of her. I tuned most of it out throughout the day, but I did pick up bits and pieces of information, like how she was actually Veronica's step sister, Avalyn. Other than that, I didn't have a clue what my girlfriend had said to me and her lunatic friends. But throughout the day, I had been thinking about when Avalyn bumped into me, and how a guitar pick had fallen out of the bag alone with her school books and homework. What would a quite girl like that be doing with a guitar pick? She didn't look like the type of girl who played guitar, or any instruments, actually. When I was driving Veronica home after school, I kept thinking about the guitar pick, for some reason. When I pulled into Veronica's endless driveway, we sat there in silence for a moment.

"Where's your sister?" I asked, breaking the silence. Veronica's face turned a bright red, her eyes burning holes into mine.

"She's not my sister. She's my step sister. We may live under the same roof, but we are nothing alike and we have no relation besides through marriage," she told me in an irritated voice before climbing out of my silver convertable and slamming the door. I chuckled as she angrily walked away with her silly attitude. I shook my head as I pulled out of the driveway and sped down the road blasting the radio.

____________________

Ava's POV

At work that afternoon things were slow, so most of us were just goofing off with the equipment. Mark, a 17 year old who started working here a few months ago with me, sat at the drum set and played a funky beat, dropping the sticks every few seconds. Millie, the manager, had brought out her bass and played a rhythm that matched perfectly with the drums. Before too long, I got out my favorite turquoise electric guitar and began playing notes that had no connection with Mark and Millie's playing, but seemed to fit together like a jigsaw puzzle perfectly. Once we stopped with the improvising, Mark had a "brilliant" idea. While laughing like a maniac, Mark told Millie to walk over to the keyboard, and grinned from ear to ear.

"Do you guys know the song 'Shake It'?" Millie started playing, and Mark joined in. I shook my head, laughing, as I started playing. Before I knew it I was singing.

I'll take you home if you don't leave me at the front door

Your body's cold but girl your getting so warm

And I was thinking of ways that I could get inside

Today your falling in love, let me go now

I got lost in the song, feeling as if the world had disintegrated. Once I played the last note, I snapped back into reality. I looked at my coworkers, sweat gathering on my forehead. Mark dropped the drum sticks to the floor and stared as Millie's jaw fell to the ground in shock. I felt the blood rush to my face as I turned a bright red.

"Where did that come from?!" Mark laughed, breaking the awkward silence. Millie and I started laughing along with him. The three of us put the instruments back and began cleaning before closing. Millie and Mark wouldn't shut up about my voice, which apparently was a combination of Michelle Branch and Haley Williams. They joked about forming a band but then after a pause, I spoke up.

"You know, that's not a bad idea. I mean we all play instruments, and we all have a passion for music," I tell them.

Millie laughed. "We just have one problem, Einstine. Where would we practice?" Mark shook his head at us. I knew that he agreed with me about a band, but he didn't want to argue with the boss. I stared at him until he gave in and made the suggestion I knew he had come up with.

"We can practice here everyday. I mean, we barely get any business during the week, and if anything we can preform in front of customers for practice." I smile and turn to Millie to see her reaction. She gave in and agreed. I jumped in excitement.

I may not be able to preform in Eastbrook, but I can most definitely preform here. If anything, the band could help me get established in the music world through gigs. My future was important to me, and if the band so happened to help me as a musician, it could improve my chances of getting a record deal. The band and I played a few more covers, such as "Somebody Told Me" by the Killers.

When closing time rolled around, we quickly locked up before gathering in the break room to discuss the band more thoroughly. "We need a name," Millie said almost as soon as we walked into the break room.

Mark and I sat down in the black plastic chairs while Millie grabbed juice boxes from the mini fridge for us. Mark grabbed a couple notepads and pens for us and distributed them to jot down ideas.

"Why not MARK?" Mark suggested. Millie and I rolled our eyes at the idiotic suggestion, making the drummer sink down in his chair laughing. The three of us went back forth between each other, throwing ideas around. We had altered some of the possible band names, trying to pull together a name that had attitude and something that expressed who we were. The name popped into my head after about 40 possibilities had been turned down.

"What about 'Cornered Sun'?" I suggested, looking at the other two for a second.

"That's... Brilliant!" Millie screeched.

I laughed then checked my phone quickly. "Shit, it's almost ten," I shouted as I stood up, throwing my things into my black messenger bag. I rush out of the room, saying my goodbyes quickly, and practically ran down the street. I had parked my beat up truck nearly a block away, and I had to get home before curfew.

When I climbed into the truck, I sped down the street, taking the fastest route back to Eastbrook. My mom knew that I had a job, but she didn't know where. I was usually home by 6, so she didn't really notice, but she would be asking questions with me coming home this late, and that was something I couldn't do.