Chapter Ten

The rest of the quarter flew by.  Avery and I had gotten an A on our play, not surprising.  The play for the year was Seussical the Musical.  Avery had gotten the lead as always.

The best part of my school day was working with Michael.  I had gotten to know him a lot better.  We have become really good friends.  He even started sitting by Avery and I at lunch.  We hung out every Tuesday after school.

There was a bad part of the quarter ending.   I was not done with my photography project.  Yes, I had gotten the picture, but I never figured out why he looked disappointed.  I never asked Michael if he got his project done, but I was going to find out soon.

As soon as I walked into the photography room, I immediately sat down next to Michael.  We only have a week before the end of the quarter, and I had to figure out why he looked disappointed.

Mr. Brown was sick today and our sub was doing a crossword puzzle, so it was just a work day.  After Michael and I finished our usual “how was your day,” conversations, I asked him if he finished his project.  He said he did.  I was curious who is picture was of.  It took him a few minutes, but he eventually responded with a quiet “you,” 

It would be an understatement to say I was shocked.  When did he sneak a picture of me?  What was my expression?  I had a million other questions racing through my mind.  He must have noticed my confused expression on my face because he started to explain.

He took a picture of me that first day at the park.  I had a happy expression on my face.  He figured out that after getting to know me that I love kids.  I may get angry with my brothers, but I honestly do love kids.  I had a smile on my face watching those kids swing. 

When he was done I asked him the big question, “Why did you look disappointed after you left?”  He looked nervous before he responded.  He said he was disappointed because he was shy and he really wanted to get to know me. 

I guess that make sense, but I was shocked when he said he really like me.  The secretary, Mrs. Smith, was announcing people’s names that needed to stop by the office before leaving, signally we had two minutes left of class.

I was even more shocked when he said he wanted to go out with me.  I obviously said yes.  I had really grown to like him throughout this quarter. 

The bell rang ending the day and also this story.