Russian Roulette

Love is like a Russian Roulette as Mannie Bradshaw said and I quote, "Every day, we place our hearts on the table, betting against each other in a war of wits for the grandest prize of all: to be loved. It doesn't matter how high the stakes are. When fate throws us one relationship after the next, we're going to keep playing until we finally hit the cosmic jackpot. It's the ultimate gamble for the ultimate prize, and sometimes, not everybody wins."

--

"Joy!" I looked back at the familiar voice that was calling me. It was Sungjae oppa walking from his van. Our second shooting has ended and we will both now leave our new apartment. Yes, I thought we would be sleeping under the same roof but it turned out that both agencies didn't allow it, so we both changed from our blue pajamas to our interview clothes now.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" I looked around, I don't know why I was doing a rain check but I did and nodded after seeing all the staffs have left and my manager has gone to our van.

"I was thinking of playing a game." He somewhat nervously began as he rubbed his hand on his nape which totally lost me.

"Right now?" Was all I could utter. He chuckled before correcting me.

"Ani." He paused for a while. Staring right into my soul, he continued, "What do you say we play a secret game only the two of us know while shooting WGM?" He wiggled his eyebrows.

"Mwonde?"

"Whoever fell in love, lose."

My mind went blank all of a sudden. Was he in his right mind? No. I don't think so. Does he think falling in love is a game? What do I expect from a maknae visual of the popular group that was just a year-older Oppa?

"Andwae. I'm not playing your silly games." I turned my back to leave him when he caught my left wrist.

"Listen to me first, Joy." Sungjae pleaded, which confuses me more thinking how serious he was proposing this. Everything that I thought nice of this guy dissolved into thin air.

"Shiro! And what made you think I will fall in love with you, eoh?" I scoffed as the inside of me starts to heat up in disbelief and annoyance.

"Exactly my point, Joy. What are you afraid of? Besides, it could be a reminder to both of us so we wouldn't taint the name of our group and agency if ever, you know, you felt something for me even if just for a little."

"So what if someone fell?"

"Then that person should propose to end the show."

I don't know how he convinced me to do the dare but yeah, I'm in it to win this game. Seeing how shy Sungjae is, I don't think I'll be able to fall in love with him since I like a man who exerts an effort. Well, either way, I won't be falling in love in this show.

We never talked about the secret game again. And nothing much has changed after that conversation, Sungjae will always be the awkward one whereas I was the bold one - just like the bbyu couple everyone was watching. We don't talk much off-cam, yes. We also don't get too close as if we're both carefully avoiding laser lines so we wouldn't be burned.

So were we just acting in front of the camera? Aniya. That was the funny thing though. It's like we both forget Sungjae's silly game and get to be our hidden selves - the real us - whenever the camera starts rolling. I was secretly grateful that Sungjae could loosen up during the take, that way I could have a glimpse of what I think he really was.

How could I be sure if he wasn't acting? 1) I've watched Sungjae in Who Are You, 2) I could feel his sincerity in everything he did, and 3) I don't think someone could be that consistent and considerate.