Chapter 7

Chapter 7:

(Payton's pov)

I walk around the town friday at about noon. 'Coincidently' i run into Luke. We end up walking around for a while talking.

"You must think I'm a bitch. don't you?" I ask after a long silence.

"No.. Why would i think that?" He tries taking my hand, but i don't want to see Hunter, so as politely as i can pull away. But how polite can you do that?

"Because I'm some snotty rich girl. Like why'd i want to kill myself? My life must be perfect," i say and harshly laugh.

"I wasn't thinking that.." He stops, "I was thinking, 'what happened that would make her want to do that?'"

I smile, "thanks.. Yeah.. I uh, i cant talk about it."

"I understand. I guess telling random people why you almost committed suicide isn't exactly something you do everyday." He says and bites his lip.

For some reason Luke and i have this weird humor thing. So i laugh.

"So what do you like to do Mr. Hemmings?"

He furrows his eyebrows and sits on a bench. I sit next to him. "I sing." He answers simply.

"What do you like to sing?" I ask.

He pulls his bag from behind his back and plops it in his lap. As he files through he talks, "well, i write songs," he stops and looks at me, "they are kinda personal.. And not that good. But you can read one. If you want."

"If they're personal its fine.." I say, but he shoves a paper in my hand.

"Don't talk,

Let me think it over.

How we gonna fix this?

How we gonna undo all the pain.

Tell me,

Is it even worth it.

Looking for a straight line.

Taking back the time we cant replace.." I read.

He takes the paper quickly. An embarrassed face takes over his. "Its kinda confusing i-"

"No luke," i cut him off, "it was really good."

"Thanks.. Um what do you do?" He asks throwing the page back in his bag sloppily.

"Well i guess sing too.. Im not amazing.. And i write too!" I say excitedly. Me and Luke have a lot more in common than i thought.

He smiles, "Maybe someday we can write together. We can finish my son-"

A car screeches in front of us, interrupts him. My mother steps out.

"PAYTON I WAS LOOKING EVERYWHERE FOR YOU DEAR!" She takes my hand. "We need to get you ready for tonight!" She exclaims.

"I-"

"Say goodbye to your friend," she disapprovingly eyes Luke, "lets go."

"Remeber Luke." I smile before getting in the car, "Dinner at my place tonight." I say then the car takes off down the street leaving Luke standing alone.

As we drive away i see a faint smile form on his lips. He opens his bag, and starts writing something down. He leaves my sight when the car turns the corner, but i cant stop wondering what he wrote.