Chapter 2

"Life is more fun if you play games." ~Roald Dahl 

Phoebe plays in the garden in front of our house that rests on top of a cliff overlooking the sea while I make breakfast. 

I open the fridge to grab salmon I bought yesterday afternoon at the market and then I open one of the drawers to grab the lemons. I set the package of salmon on the island as I wash the lemons in the sink before slicing them. 

I take the salmon and unwrap it from it's package and put it on some tin foil. I take the olive oil and drizzle it over the salmon, not adding too much or too little. I grab the colander with fresh basil that has been rinsed and pick up the individual pieces of basil to lay on top of the salmon. I pick up the sliced lemon and set it on top of the basil. I wrap the fish in the tin foil and slide it into the oven on a tray. 

I hear the front door open and footsteps pound on the wood floors. "Ryder!" Phoebe says, entering the kitchen. "There is someone on the cliff." 

"You must be joking," I reply not believing her at all. 

"Ryder, please come and look," she begs. "She was not there two minutes ago. She just appeared." 

"I think this is just a figment of your imagination. No one is ever on the cliffs." 

"But someone is there!" 

"So if I go and see and there isn't someone there," I begin. 

"Ryder!" Phoebe yells. "I swear!" 

Phoebe grabs my hand and drags me outside. "Do you see her?" She asks, pointing to the person on the cliff. 

"Okay, yeah. You were right," I reply. 

"What are you going to do?" She asks like I can solve the world's problems. 

"Stay here," I say to my sister. 

I walk towards the figure. She is wearing a white dress with long sleeves that look like they are barely there. I can only see the back of her. Her hair falls loose into small waves of gold. She suddenly turns around to face me. 

"Who are you?" She asks in a quiet voice filled with fear. 

"Ryder," I reply, trying not to scare her. 

"What is your domain?" She asks. 

"Water. I am a Warrior of Arariel," I say. "Who are you?" I ask. 

"I am Lady Adaline, Daughter of Raphael, Warrior of Raphael," she replies with a sense of dignity. 

Now I am in shock. "What are you doing here?" I ask with hesitancy. 

"You spoke the words to break my curse, did you not?" She replies with question. 

"What does that have to do anything?" I ask. 

"Do you not know my story?" She asks with almost a laugh. "I thought everyone knew my story."

"I do know your story but I thought that it was a myth." 

"A myth?" She replies with a smile. "Not a myth at all, Ryder." 

"But that doesn't answer my question. Why are you here?" I ask. 

"You spoke the words that broke my curse I put upon myself. When that occurred, I was brought here because you spoke the words," she explains. 

I see Phoebe from the corner of my eye walk up the cliff to us. "Phoebe," I warn. 

"Who are you?" Phoebe asks, completely ignoring me and focusing on Adaline. 

"Lady Adaline," she replies.