chapter 7

Gandalf and Lord Elrond

As time went on I soon grew more accustomed to the way of things, each morning Legolas or Estel would come into my room and bring me my breakfast, Lord elrond would then come in to check my wounds and rebandage them.

"Your wounds are healing quite nicely Daeren." Over time the elves started to call me Daeren, short for Thithdaeran meaning 'Little great one'. I smiled to him.

"Today we are going to have a visitor little one", I looked at him curiously wondering who it was, overtime I had met several other elves here and they were all very nice and treated me very kindly.

"Who is it my asked."

"The man's name is Gandalf the Grey. You may just call him Gandalf though."

"Why is he coming" I asked curiously "Well actually if he is here to visit you."

That made me even more confused why would he want to come to see me.

Legolas had told me that I was in elfling, and that they were very rare and special. I never imagined that just having my ears a different shape meant I was a completely different species, however I soon learned that was not to be the case.

The elves, were graceful, wise and immortal. Very different from humans. "Is he an elf too" I asked.

"No Daeran he's a wizard."

"A wizard so he can do like magic and stuff."

"Yes he can do magic."

"Wow" was all I said. "When will he be here?"

"He should be here within the day if everything goes well and the weather does not bode unwell for him." Wow a wizard was coming to visit me it was so exciting. When we were done Lord Elrond brought me back to his study.

A few days ago Lord Elrond and the others thought it would be wise to teach me the Common tongue. I guess they'de figured out when I got here that I couldn't speak it.

Lord Elrond had told me that it was important because everyone in Middle Earth spoke the common tongue and it would be unwise for me not to know it.

I wouldn't say it was hard, but I also wouldn't say it was easy. The words kept getting mixed up and I would get confused a lot.

Since I had never been to school before the whole concept was quite new. However Lord Elrond told me I was doing well and that I would soon get the hang of it in no time. Today he had me try reading from a book, I wouldn't say we got very far though.

Once we have finished for the day I was to go meet Estel in the training yard, I always loved watching the Warriors use the sword, it amazed me how they could wield such a powerful and heavy weapon so easily.

Not long ago I had been told that Estel was a Ranger, and that he helped protect people up in the Northern towns from threats. I also learned that he wouldn't be here for very long. He had to go back and meet up with the other rangers and that he was just down here visiting for a while. The news made me very sad, I knew I would miss Estel very much.

I didn't want him to leave, but there was nothing I could do about it. "Estel" I said once I spotted him, he looked back at me and gave me a huge grin. "Hey there little one you just missed training."

I gave a small frown, I always enjoyed watching him train. "Cheer up" he said to me. He then moved his hand behind his back and took out a dagger "here" he told me.

Uncertainly I slowly brought my hand out to take it from him. I had never held a dagger before or any sharp weapon really. It was very light, not very heavy, but it did have some weight on it.

"In time we will teach you how to wield one of these" I was shocked I didn't think they would allow me to. "For now" he said,

"you would just be learning the dagger, though when you have mastered it you will move on to the bow and the sword."

"Will you be teaching me?" I asked "I can until I leave then probably Legolas or one of the other Warriors will teach you." Even though he still cannot teach me everything .I'm happy he would be able to teach me the basics to get me started.

"Why don't we start tomorrow."

"Yes I would like that very much."

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

Gandalf POV

Once I heard the news of the elfling in Rivendell I immediately sent word to Lord Elrond that he should be expecting me. However it would take me about a week to reach Rivendell on horseback.

I would ride mostly all day and a few hours into the night before stopping. Taking a few hours to rest, make sure the horse had plenty of food and water, before then heading on my way again. The journey had taken me longer than I originally planned.

When I was about a day away I sent lord Elrond a message of my location and to be expecting me about tomorrow sometime. By the time I reached Rivendell the next day it was around noon. I made my way into the courtyard, where Lord Elrond was waiting for me.

"Mithrandir, Welcome"

"It is good to be here my Lord Elrond" I dismounted my horse and made my way over to him. "I hope you journey was not too endearing for you."

I just chuckled "Oh, no I quite enjoyed it." I followed Lord Elrond to his study, where we were met with Lady Galadriel and Haldir. "My Lady" I bowed, then gave a nod to Haldir.

"Welcome Mithrandir" Lady Galadriel said. I smiled to her as I made my way to a chair. I heavily sat down, exhaustion for the trip creeping up on me. "So you are here to see the child for yourself?" Haldir asked "Yes, it is the same reason you are here."

"May I ask how he is doing?"

"The child is doing much better than when he first arrived."

"How did you come upon him?"

"My warriors were looking into an orc sighting when they discovered the child badly injured and brought him here. We did not figure out he was elfling until he was here though."

"The child says he is four, yet he has the appearance of someone much smaller, I'm afraid it's due to high malnourishment."

Lady Galadriel said. I frowned at that, I was hoping nothing to bad had happened to the child, however that seems to not have been the case. "What is the child's name?"

Everyone had sad looks on their faces. "The child did not know his own name when he got here, when we asked he said that he was called 'boy'." My frown got even deeper. "Well he must have a name now."

"Yes most have come to call him Tithdaeran or Daeran for short." "Legolas and Estel have become very close to the little one." Lord Elrond said. I Only fear what would happen when the boy realises that Legolas will have to back to Mirkwood.

He isn't taking the news of Estel leaving very well." "They definitely have a special bond." Lady Galadriel smiled. I was about to ask another question when I heard laughter coming from somewhere outside.

I made my way to the hollow window, The sight that met me brought a smile to my face. The Child or Daeran was laughing while Legolas and Estel stood over him laughing as well. "He seems to be doing well." I said.

I continued to watch the child as we continued with our meeting.