4.4 | Tests

Riley had left Ben alone on the roof in the glow of the glistening fairy lights and the mocking moonlight. She had been reluctant to leave him, but he was clear he wanted to be alone. Riley was torn between feeling unbelievably apologetic for what she had told Ben. She had watched the bright smile fade from his face and his breaking heart shattered hers, but she had saved him from an even bigger heartbreak when her sister, the one he was in love with, told him she didn't feel the same about him.

And then there was the selfish side of her that was glad he knew. She was glad he knew of the potential that Cassie had feelings for Danny because maybe, just maybe, he would give up on pursuing her. Maybe he would remember Riley on the roof in the glistening moonlight and he would fall in love with her instead.

Riley loved her sister and wanted nothing more than for her to be happy, but she was so sure that that happiness was not going to come from being with Ben. She was happy with Ravi, she might have even had feelings for Danny. Ben wasn't the guy for her little sister.

Still, she felt she owed it to her sister to inform her of the events that had unfolded that night as she walked grudgingly down the few flights of stairs that led her practically right to Cassie's door. She raised her closed fist to knock on the apartment door, but she withdrew it when she realized she didn't even know what she would say to her. How could she explain that Cassie's best friend was in love with her and had attempted to confess his feelings for her? What would Cassie say when Riley explained the grand gesture was sabotaged by her jealous older sister?

Riley snapped out of her nervous state, shaking it off and remembering she was the older sister. Her little sister was the most important person in her life and she owed it to her to fill her in on what was going on.

Riley tapped on the door with her rolled knuckles. She heard footsteps from the interior of the apartment and the door opened to expose her younger sister. Her red hair was wavy and tucked behind her ears. Riley instantly recognized the swollen pink skin around her eyes and the runny mascara died under her bottom lashes.

"Cassie, what happened?" She immediately broke into older sister mode when she saw her little sister had been crying. She stepped into the apartment, closing the door behind her and sitting on the couch with Cassie, her arm protectively around her. She quickly disregarded the information she was going to tell Cassie for the time being as she waited to hear Cassie's explanation.

"Ravi just left." Cassie told Riley and she automatically assumed the worst.

"Did you break up?" She assumed, but Cassie shook her head in response.

"No. He told me loved me." Cassie exposed to Riley, whose jaw dropped in shock.

"Did you say it back?"

"I couldn't. I don't know how I feel about him, which makes it even worse that..." Cassie cut off her sentence, burying her face in her palms. Riley rubbed her hand in circles on Cassie's back, between her shoulder blades, her free hand taking one of Cassie's. It was one of those moments where she felt an overwhelming love for her sister, the kind of 'my little sister is in pain and whoever caused it will pay' feeling.

"What, Cassie? What is it?" Riley questioned cautiously, now intrigued by what Cassie was about to say.

Cassie lifted her head and looked at Riley with teary eyes. "Riley, I'm pregnant." Cassie revealed and Riley's eyes widened more than she thought they could. Of all things, this was the last news she expected, especially from her sister. She hadn't been overly surprised by the news of Emma's existence, but hearing her little sister was expecting was absolutely shocking, especially since her reaction was less than an enthusiastic one.