"Are you scared? Is that what it is?" My best friend smirked thinking she could use reverse psychology on me, only the way she saw it portrayed in movies and books.

"No. I just brought it up, doesn't mean I actually want to participate in some weird bathroom ritual. It could be like Bloody Mary where you know nothing happens anyways."

"Don't knock Mary, I heard Jessie tried it once and ended up with cuts all over her body." Jeane tried to defend the old legend that scared children, but as we grew older it became more of fake entity of our past like Santa Clause or the Tooth Fairy.

"Wasn't Jessie also the girl who swore she saw Satan in her macaroni and swore it told her that Jacob was going to die in a car crash that weekend? Jacob is still alive and kicking to this day." Jessie, high school delusional girl. She was fairly normal or at least good at hiding her insanity in freshmen year, but as time went on it seemed like she was possessed by a horrible mental illness that caused people to stay away or play with her mind and go along with the delusions like it was some child telling you an obviously fake story but playing pretend with them anyways.

Jeane threw her head back with a scoff, "Still, it could be real. What I'm saying is that it's worth a shot and it's not like we have anything interesting going on in our lives tonight anyways, right?"

I could see the pure determination on her face, this wasn't going to end until I agreed. Her persistence could be purely a gift, but also in a pain in the ass if she was working against you. Jeane's mind was already made up, the gears in her brain going at full speed producing thoughts and scenarios on how the night could end. Just a disappointment or a work of supernatural forces that seemed to actually be true. The side of her lips curved upwards, a dimple on her left cheek showed just faintly. If she weren't my best friend, I would have swore the smile was nothing but pure malice.

The clouds began to break away from the sun, harsh beams of light forcing down onto the top of our heads. Summer, only nice if you had a swimming pool. "Wonder when the sun is just going to give us a break one day and not cook us to death."

Jeane laughed, a small part inside hoping she would soon forget about our conversation but her memory wasn't short, far from it. When her mind was set to something, she wouldn't stop and would never forget. "Nice try."

"What?" I tried to act dumb, a play I used a lot and never worked to my advantage. One day I just hoped she would toss me a bone and let it go, but I don't think that was ever programmed into her personality.

"I'm staying the night because your mom loves me and would never say no to me despite whatever you say and tonight will be the night we prove your mom is either insane or all the more knowing of the spiritual world than I am."

A snicker couldn't help but slip from my lips as I bowed my head in an attempt to protect my eyes from the sun, "This isn't about the game and you being curious, you just want to prove that you know more about something than someone else." I smirked at her as her eyes narrowed at me in a playful way, "It's so funny how jealous and defensive you get over the smallest and not so important things."

She held her hands up in defensive, her palms facing towards me. I could see the small beads of sweat were falling down to her wrists. "Okay maybe my pride is hurt, but I'm always up for a new game."

I felt a slight sense of anxiety that came with new things, especially ones to curse or harm you in any way if possible, but as usual it soothed down quiet enough that in the back of my mind I knew it wouldn't work and if it did, I wouldn't be a part of it by participating. It was fictional like the boogeyman and every other urban legend out there, but there was always a part inside me that wondered if there would be one, just one to be true to lore. Not something that scares you into thinking you saw or felt something. "Okay, but I'm allowed to back out if I want to, no questions asked." I smiled knowing this was the only way we could both be happy.