"That won't be necessary, Christian."

The young staff member's expression changes, he seems to loosen up a little.

My brow furrows and I look over at the tall person who has come to stand beside me.

"Beckett, man, it's so good to see you!" The young man chuckles.

Beckett smiles at his acquaintance, "Likewise. I didn't realise you were working tonight."

Christian shrugs, "The hours were available, so I took them, gotta make that money!"

Beckett laughs politely, hardly acknowledging me, "I know the feeling!"

"So," Christian starts, "Are you heading out too?"

He nods, "Yeah, I just wanted to get some fresh air, if that's alright with you?"

"Of course, I'll let you back in when you're ready."

I cough loudly, reminding the two young men that I'm also standing right beside them.

Christians eyes widen, "Oh...you're going to tell my boss or something now?"

Beckett glances down at me, "Sam? I hardly recognised you."

"Gee, thanks guys..." I mutter.

Christian looks at the two of us, "You guys know each other?"

"Yeah, we're lab partners." I explain, as Beckett makes no attempt to fill his friend in.

"That's cool. Well, why don't you guys just go out together? I won't get in trouble that way."

Beckett and I share a look. I guess my mind wasn't playing tricks on me tonight, this gorgeous boy is standing right in front of me, a perfect coincidence.

"Uh, that sounds fine." Beckett answers, and the two of us smile at Christian as he ushers us out the front door.

As soon as the heavy door shuts behind us I look at Beckett again.

"What the hell are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same thing, you know?" He replies.

I sigh and follow him down to the waterfront.

"Seriously though who are you here with? You never said anything about this in the lab." I continue as I try to keep up with his long strides in my heels, "HEY! Can you slow down a little?!"

He stops in his tracks and allows me to catch up.

"I'm here with Trinity Fletcher."

"I have no idea who she is."

"I know." He replies, "Which is why I didn't tell you in the lab."

"Oh, gee, thanks for the information."

"Who are you here with?" He asks, returning my question.

"Rafael Haines." I tell him, digging my hands into the pockets of my coat as the cold sea breeze starts to bite at them.

He glances down at me, his expression one of mild surprise.
"Oh really?"

"Are you impressed?" I ask him, feeling a little confident.

"Mildly."

I smile to myself, it feels kinda good to see Beckett like this. It's like I'm telling him that I have more options, that I'm spoken for tonight. Maybe seeming out of reach to him may help me to see a new side of him.

The two of us walk over to a wooden bench facing out towards the sea and gingerly sit down on it. I desperately try not to hurt the dress I've borrowed.