The Wait - Shailyn

I was walking through the halls of the castle, a letter from Nick in my hand. I waved at Veronica, who was just coming out from her room, "Victoria! Look!"

She turned her head, looking at me, "What?"

"Look!" I raced over to her, my dress flying out behind me, "A letter," I waved it high in the air, "It's from Nick!"

Victoria's face lit up, "That's amazing!" she gently took the envelope out of  my hand, about to open it when she observed, "It's already been opened."

"Sorry," I lied, rubbing the back of my neck, "I couldn't help myself," In reality, I knew there was a letter inside specifically for me, so I had opened the letter to find it.

Victoria shook her head, smiling, then started reading, "Dearest sisters. I miss you both so much. I can't wait to see you again in a month. Well, by the time this letter reaches you, it should only be three weeks. The royal family has been very kind to me, always supportive as well. I can tell they'll make amazing allies as Victoria's reign begins. I have to go now, but I await a reply. Yours truly, Nick."

Silently, I congratulated Nick on his careful wording. He didn't lie to Victoria, except about the three weeks. He didn't say who they'd be allies to, either. I'd have to congratulate him on that later.

"That's wonderful," Victoria sighed, "I'm so glad he's doing well."

I nodded, "What would we do without him?"

Suddenly, a door slammed shut, making me jump, and Alexander walked out of it. He looked up, saw us, and greeted us, "Hello!"

"Good morning!" I replied, waving.

Victoria went to his side, and I turned, walking away. I walked out to the courtyard, ready for breakfast, after which I would spring my plan into action. After a quick meal, I went back to my room, changing into a brown dress and a black cloak. I went out into the city near the castle, where the next part of the plan would be put into action. With my hood up, I approached the nearest civilian, stopping them.

"Who are you?" the dark-haired man asked with hostility.

"Victoria never should have been made queen!" I hissed, "She doesn't care about us, she doesn't care about her people!"

"What are you talking about?" he asked skeptically, "Queen Victoria was an amazing choice for queen."

"How do you know?" I asked, "She wouldn't care if you died."

"Really?" he asked.

I laughed silently to myself, the people of Elisus were so trusting. I repeated this with many others, having the same reaction. Soon, I had gotten around to about my 50th 'visit', planting doubt in the minds of the citizens. Nick's plan was working flawlessly, so flawlessly, in fact, that I had even gotten a few words to the citizens in favor of myself. With that, I moved onto the next neighborhood. There were guards here, so I would have to be careful about who overheard my conversations. I went in and worked my magic.

I walked up to a tall, thin man with blond hair, "Victoria will have us all killed! We can't trust her to lead!"

He frowned down at me, "Why do you doubt your queen?"

"You have no idea what goes on in that castle!" I shouted, "Victoria wouldn't blink twice if any of us were killed!"

The man sighed, walking away. I saw him walk over to a guard, pointing at me. I quickly ran the other direction, my cloak billowing out behind me. I ran down an alleyway and checked to make sure I had lost them. I smiled, I didn't see a sign of them. I continued my mission, going around to my subjects, planting a seed of doubt. If our plan worked, even if Victoria won the battle, she wouldn't win back her people.

"The queen will have us all killed!" I yelled at one mother and her daughter.

The mother held her daughter closer, "The queen will protect us. Now leave before I call the guards."

"We'll die!" I yelled as I retreated, going to repeat the process.

I walked along the streets, looking for my next victim, when suddenly I heard shouting, "There she is! Get her!"

I turned to see a horde of guards running at me, and I raced away. My flats slapped the ground with every step I took, and my breathing came hard. I turned a corner and shed my cloak, throwing it in an open window. I slowed, hoping that the change in costume would fool the guards. Right on cue, the guards thundered around the corner. As soon as they saw me, they stopped dead, kneeling.

"Princess Shailyn!" one spoke, "What are you doing outside of the castle?"

"It is none of your concern," I replied, "What I do outside of the castle is none of your business."

"Of course not," he fumbled, "I was just checking if you needed anything."

"Leave," I told them, "I do not require your assistance."

They nodded,  getting up to walk away. I returned to the castle, deciding it was best not to have another close call. I went to my room and pulled Nick's letter out of the envelope. Victoria still had the other one, but I had the one that was addressed to just me.

Dear Shailyn,

I'm doing well here. The royalty are so quick to believe my every word, they are so completely trusting that they can't see through the obvious lies. This will make a good home base if we ever find ourselves at war with Victoria. I hope that everything is going well there, and that you're winning the hearts of the people. Keep working, the attack will come soon. Burn this letter as soon as you read it.

~Nick

I walked over to the fireplace that was burning, giving the room light and warmth. I gently dropped the paper in it, watching it burn in the flames. I couldn't wait for the attack Nick was sending.

I couldn't wait, because then, I would be queen.