The Battle - Victoria

I burst out of the courtyard, running through the halls as best I could in the tight heels I was wearing. Alexander was running beside me, and for the first time I noticed the twin swords at his belt. He had obviously come prepared.

The clicking of my heels in the silent halls was deafening, and the chilling silence in between was even more so. I couldn't help but wonder what was happening out there. Were my people dying? Was my brother ok, safe, or was he lying on the ground, wounded, or already dead?

I dashed out the front doors of the castle, sound suddenly attacking my ears. The clashing of metal on metal, shouts an screams, I shrank back a bit, then remembered. These are my people. This is my responsibility.

Alexander handed me a sword, "Take this. Only use it if you must," and he ran into the fray. I ran up onto a small piece of land that overlooked the battlefield. I searched for my brother, finding him successfully fending off the attackers. With him in charge of the army, there was nothing I had to worry about.

Standing on that small outcropping, I felt a sudden surge of pride and power as my army fought. I turned around, my gaze meeting one of the attackers who had made his way up the hill to find me. He smirked, obviously not seeing the sword in my hand, or perhaps he did, and he lunged at me, trying to grab me in his arms. I jumped back, holding the sword out in between us, "Do not make me use this," I warned.

Disregarding my words, the man held up his own sword and rushed at me. I dodged his attack, turning to catch him in the back with a slash of my own sword. Had the man not been wearing armor, that would've been it. I suddenly realized that I was on the edge of the cliff, and a long fall is what would greet me if I took another step back. The man saw me cornered and smirked once more.

I gasped as a sword suddenly appeared in the man's chest, then pulled itself back out. The man collapsed to the ground, his blood pooling around him. Behind him stood Alexander, his sword red with blood, glaring at the now-dead man at our feet. He looked back at me, "Are you okay?"

"Fine, thank you," I replied. I saw another man come up behind the bushes, and Alexander turned when he saw my gaze drift behind him. He swung his sword, the other man dodging flawlessly. They fought, movements all blurring in my vision as they both moved in synch. Swing, block, Stab, dodge. Swing, swing, spin, swing, parry, attack. Alexander hit the man on the side of his head with the butt of his sword, and the man crumpled to the ground at our feet. Alexander returned to my side, his sword still drawn and his arm shielding me protectively.

I turned around to look at the battlefield, once again watching my people fighting off the invaders. I decided it was time to end it.

Stepping up to the very edge of the cliff overlooking the battle, I shouted, projecting my voice over the clatter of metal and shouting, "Stop."

The scene fell quiet as every soldier turned to look at me, all doubtlessly thinking What the heck is she doing? I continued, "Stop. Leave here. You think Elisus is weak for the lack of a leader, but you are wrong. I am the new queen. We are just as strong as we were before my parents died. So return to your own kingdom. Do not force us to make you go. I would rather avoid a fight, so end it. This is your last warning. If any of you raised your sword to one of my men, we will end every single one of you."

There was a long pause as they thought about my offer. Slowly but surely, the opposing soldiers turned, leaving. My army cheered as they retreated, and the party was sure to continue after that. Without so much as a glance in my direction, Nick led the army back into the castle, passing me. Alexander grasped my shoulder lightly before leading me to follow them.

----------------------------------------------------------

"What were you doing?" my brother yelled angrily at me.

"I was hel-"

"Helping?" he said, exasperated, "Helping who?"

"You!" I replied, trying to keep my emotions in check. Although the party had ended, not all the guests had left. Those who were left could not hear me and my brother arguing so early into my leadership. Our relationship would seem unstable, and I needed to assure my people that I had everything under control.

"How?" he asked, still yelling, "You could've gotten yourself killed! All it would've taken is an archer with a sure shot, and we would be without a queen again!"

"And that's exactly what you risk every time you walk out onto that battlefield, I should be willing to sacrifice the same," I insisted.

"Without you, the kingdom would fall apart!" Nick continued arguing.

"Without you, what would happen to the army? Shailyn? Me? We  would fall apart, Nick!" I turned, not wanting to continue the argument, "You can go now."

"I'm not done-" I cut him off mid-sentence.

"Well I am," I stated coldly, "I said you can go now."

"Fine," he turned and I heard his footsteps echoing through the halls, returning to his room. I sighed, that was not how I wanted that night to go. Walking the opposite direction, I went through the unfriendly dark halls back to my bedroom, where I would once again be alone.