2 | I n v e s t i g a t i o n

Kevin Jones sighed, and ran his hands through his dirty blonde hair. "So - what do we know?" He asked the group of men and women sat around him. "Team Asylum. What did you find out?"

The spokesman for Team Asylum, a thin young man with glasses stood up. He was sweating and there was a thick file in his hands. He cleared his threat and opened the file. He took out a photograph first, showing everyone.

"Here is a photograph of the serial killer who calls himself the 'Mad Hatter'..." he paused to pass the picture to the woman on his right, who looked at it briefly before passing it on. "There is no solid information on this man. No one knows his age, or his real name, or where he comes from. A doctor who treated him, Henry Edwards, tells us that the Hatter has a very distinct English accent, while a security guard Michael O'Malley tells us that the Hatter only spoke in French when he was around him. A young nurse, Lily Ferguson, said that the Hatter had a very strong American accent when she spoke to him. It's clear that this guy knows what he's doing."

The photograph reached Kevin, and he almost flinched backwards as he stared at the Mad Hatter. The image depicted a man with electric green eyes, and a pale face. A long scar travelled from his right eye to his chin. Red hair stuck up in all directions, and there was a velvet top hat sat atop the mans head.

"What's his history?" Kevin asked, giving the photograph to the woman next to him.

"Serial killer it seems. He has numerous counts of killing innocent women. The women were all
roughly the same age, with long blonde hair and blue eyes. It is unclear why he is choosing these women, or what he does to them." Team Asylum's spokesperson replied.

Kevin tapped his chin. "Blonde hair, blue eyes," he muttered to himself. "Why that combination?"

"Maybe he just likes blondes?" Sniggered a member of Team Surveillance. Kevin rolled his eyes.

"Team Surveillance. What have you found out?" He asked. The Spokesperson for Surveillance took out a black and white image, and showed it to Kevin.

"CCTV footage. It shows the Hatter making his escape."

Kevin glanced at the image. It was grainy, but it was clear that the Hatter has escaped through the basement. "Okay, so he escaped through the basement. Has anyone got a map of the asylum? Which way would he have been more likely to go after he got out?"

Team Detective's spokesperson, a woman, stood up, and spread a map of the Asylum across the table. Kevin leaned forward to get a better look. "Okay, so after the Hatter escaped the Asylum, the most obvious way he could have went would be this forest... But..."

Kevin looked up from the map, meeting her eyes. "But what?" He couldn't help noticing that she was gorgeous, and quickly averted his eyes.

"But he's a clever bastard, isn't he? That's what he's been showing us all along, so if he knows the forest is the obvious escape route then he's not gunna take it." She continued. Kevin nodded thoughtfully, glancing down at the map in front of him. There was a river a few miles north of the asylum, but it led to another patch of land. Surely the Hatter would head to civilisation? Easier to blend in.

"You think he took the river?" Kevin asked. She nodded, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Seems the most likely. He's crazy enough to attempt it at least."

Kevin glanced down at the map again, and grabbed a pen. He circled the start of the river, and where it tapered off. "Alright, listen here you lot. Bones, Graham I want you two following this river and searching for the Hatter. Call for backup before approaching. Hannan, O'Neill - Asylum duty. Interview the staff, anyone you can think of. I want information on this guy. The rest stay here, reading up on articles. Anything that mentions the Hatter I want to know."

With that said, Kevin ended the meeting, and ushered everyone out. His eyes landed on the pretty, dark haired girl. She was one of the last to leave.

"Wait. Would you stay behind? Only for a few minutes?" Kevin wanted to kick himself for being so blunt, but it got her to turn and face him at least. She moved to stand in front of him, giving him a chance to eye her properly.

"Yes, sir?" She asked, raising her eyes to his face.

"Those were some interesting ideas you came out with," He said, gesturing to the map behind them. "The river."

"Oh," she blushed. "Thank you. I was just trying to think outside the box."

"Well that's good, that's what we need here. People using their brains," Kevin said. He cast his mind to some of the numbskulls on his team, and shook his head. He scooped up the notes on the case so far, and placed them neatly in his briefcase. "Are you new here? I don't think I've seen you around before."

She nodded. "Started last week. This is my first official case."

"Ah. Welcome to the team, anyhow. I'm Kevin Jones." Kevin said, stretching his hand out. She smiled, and shook it.

"Nice to meet you."

With the files in his bag, Kevin turned towards the door. He was ready to get home and crack open a beer. Today had been particularly stressful. The young woman in question had reached the door, and threw it open.

"I didn't catch your name." Kevin realised, turning the lights off, and locking the conference room after them. She turned to face him, a gleam in her dark eyes.

"Alice."

And with that said, Alice slipped around the corner and left. Kevin stared after her.

What a woman.

——————————-

Hello! I present to you the newest chapter of 'Tea Time'! I'm sorry it took so long, I've just been busy with university, and other things.

I hope you enjoy!

— Hatter