Signed and Sealed

A/N: I'm practically aware that I have more stories to update and finish instead of making a new one-shot. However, I...just...couldn't...stop myself from writing this. I just had to! Haha. Reads, votes and comments will be very much appreciated. ^__^

---

Signed and Sealed

"Because sometimes, loving someone will never be enough."

---

With shaky hands, Adeline Skylar Jacobson hesitatingly reached for the pen which was on its holder. When her fingers came in contact with the tip of the pen, she suddenly lost it. The tears that she was trying to hold gushed out from her eyes. She covered her mouth, thinking that doing so will lessen her whimpers so that her kids won't hear her. She gripped the pen tightly, and took it out from the penholder. Why it seemed like the pen weighed heavier than its normal weight, was beyond her. In that moment, she thought that she would rather hold a gun, aim it on her temple and pull the trigger. But no, she had no strength to do that. Even if she wanted to die at that instant, she couldn't leave her children behind. They needed her, as much as she needed them right now. She gazed down at the ugly papers on top of the table, and cried even more. She badly wanted to crumple them, to rip them into hundred of pieces, or to take them out so she could burn them at their backyard. But even if she did so, she knew that her husband had another copy, maybe even more, just so she could sign the bloody papers and hand them over to the court.

Her husband, Bryce Jacobson, wanted out so he came up with an idea to escape her forever: divorce. At first she thought he was just kidding, but judging her husband's face which was void of emotions, she knew immediately that he wasn't joking. Of course, when did a divorce became a laughing matter? She remembered asking him why, and the only reason he gave her was, "I don't love you anymore." Her chest began to ache, like a hand was squeezing it hard and she couldn't breathe properly as she recalled that moment. What happened to the both of them? What did she do wrong? Why did she have to hurt like this?

As much as she wanted to keep their marriage to work, she knew her husband wanted to get it over and done with. It had been almost a week, maybe even two, since she last saw him. Honestly, she lost count of the days and it's not like she'd even bother to count them. Maybe her husband was staying at his mistress' lair, enjoying each other's warmth. She knew about his infidelity and womanizing ways over a month ago, but she just let it pass. She couldn't blame him if he was sex-deprived and was attracted to a much younger woman. She knew she was also to blame for her husband's change of attitude towards her.

However, just the thought of them being together and the thought of her husband putting an end to their 10 years of marriage made her want to cry even more. He promised her that she'll be the only woman in his life. He pledged to her father that he will protect and love her forever. He swore to God that they'll make it through thick and thin, in sickness and in health, till death do they part. But what did he do? He gave into temptation! And fool that she was, she even tolerated him! She shook her head and wiped her tears away, hoping that it will take her mind off her husband. Dwelling in the past will do her no good.

She took in a deep breath, pulled the cap of the pen and aimed its tip on the lower right section of the paper. She only needed to sign those blasted papers, to let the tip of the pen touch the clean white parchment, and carefully move her hand with it to create the intricate strokes of her name, so she can finally put an end to her misery. That was all that she had to do, to sign the papers. It was pretty simple, a basic thing, but she couldn't. She wanted to stop herself from hurting but at the same time, she wasn't ready to go back to being a Hemsworth again. No, she will never be ready. Not now, not ever in this lifetime.