Chapter 9

Truth be told, I thought my parents and I were staying in Alberta forever. We had been moving every five years like clockwork, and I didn't want to endure the grueling process of moving yet again. So I was definitely surprised when, one October evening, my mom told me that she and my dad had been talking about possibly moving again.

"Where?" I remember asking. I didn't want to have to start at another school halfway through my grade 12 year... that would be the most awkward scenario ever!

"Well, we're looking at either Manitoba or Saskatchewan," she replied.

I did not want to move to a different province every half-decade, which was what I thought would happen from there on in.

I didn't want to leave the friends I had finally made after about 4 years—and I certainly didn't want to leave my school (where I had become one of the most well-liked and respected students. I guess you could say I was sort of popular!)

At that particular moment, in the midst of all the confusion, I broke down crying and pleaded, "no, I don't want to leave Alberta!"

Shocker, right? You would think that after everything that I had experienced in the time I lived there, that I would want to move! But no, that wasn't exactly the case.

Looking at it now several months later, I can understand the point of why we would move to Saskatchewan. Not only was the NDP government making a total mess of Alberta (implementing a second carbon tax during one of the most financially difficult times the province has been in), but also my family was in some financial troubles of our own—even declaring bankruptcy in late 2015. With the mortgage being paid off in five years, this would be a way for us to start fresh.

We went to Saskatchewan in early November to look at the place—a cute little house on a small acreage with huge workshops (which would be beneficial for the businesses)! After viewing that place, I decided that I wanted to move after all. Any resistance I had shown the month before had vanished completely. So my parents placed a deposit on it that day! The place was ours under one condition—that we sold our place in Ashmont.

Let me tell you, selling the place was a struggle at first. The first realtor we used (whose name I will not say for confidentiality) didn't do anything. We listed in mid-November and cancelled our listing at the end of January. The photos were all distorted and misleading, the description of our house was also misleading and very poorly done, and the realtor didn't even come to put a "for sale" sign up! It was very disappointing.

However, at the beginning of February we listed with a realtor from REMAX Bonnyville... he had posted it on Facebook first (it hadn't even hit the MLS yet), so my parents—knowing lots about Internet marketing—posted it out to a few Facebook groups. Little did they know that their computers would literally blow up with notifications! There were probably about a thousand shares, hundreds of comments, and several likes as well. The realtor actually called my parents to tell them how surprised he was... no one at REMAX had seen anything like it!

It hit the MLS about two days later (Thursday, I believe it was?); there was one showing on Friday, two showings on Sunday... and—wait for it—not one but TWO competing offers!

There was only one problem; due to what I like to call "the financial confusion", there was a judgment placed upon us, which affected the title of our property (in Alberta). Needless to say, it was a difficult time; filled with sleepless nights, emotional breakdowns, praying, and even some counselling for myself. But we got through everything, started packing, and moved to Saskatchewan.