"Karabo... I'm just not hungry, okay?" He sounded like the conversation we were having was wearing him out, "Go with Ben or someone. See you later." he pulled his arm from my hands without looking at me again and walked out.

I felt cold and it hurt. I was beginning to think that that on top of him being traumatised because of whatever happened – he would not tell anyone exactly what happened – he really just didn't want to be near me anymore. I was certain I had done something wrong somewhere along the line. I heard the front door shut and sighed as I sat on a kitchen stool.

I looked at the sink and narrowed my eyes. Even if he was mad at me for some reason, most of what he was going through was because of them. I didn't know much about what happened before Ashton called me to come over, but he had briefed me on names and the fact that Eli's brother and some other wolves had been kidnapped and their water poisoned. What was the guy's name? Craig? He was the human. The wolf... Nicholas...

"Did my brother just leave?" Tamia asked walking in.

"Yeah, gym." My reply made her shoulders slump and I wondered for a second if lying to her would have been a better reply. "Um... Where can I find a witch?" I asked.

"The city." Her reply seemed almost automatic, "Why are you looking for a witch?" She asked raising her brows.

"I need some help back home, I'm willing to pay for their flight out and back as well as their services." I smiled.

"You could just use one of our pack members, depending on what it is you need magic for."

"They have to track someone," I said.

"Oh. Only Eli can do that..." she bit her lip.

"It's okay, I'll find a witch." I gave her a smile.

"Is your pack okay?" Tamia asked concerned.

"Yes, it's nothing big, really... I'm gonna go for a run." I said getting up. "You coming?"

"Nope." I laughed as she grabbed some ice cream from the fridge and I made my way out.

I looked around once I was outside. How did witches do it in movies? They always needed hair or something to track someone. Hopefully, that was not very necessary for these witches. I needed someone to tell me where Nicholas was.

This was the last thing I could do in the time I had left. If it didn't work, Eli and I were finished... Not that we ever really started in the first place. There was only so much I could try to do to help him, only so much I could take from him in the time I had managed to get away from my pack. Maybe Eli would be pissed at me for doing this, but I had to do something if it would help him, even just a little...

-----

*Eli's POV*

I turned off the TV which had been silently playing for the past few hours while I stared at the screen not paying any attention to it. I groaned leaning my head back against the couch to stare at the roof.

I couldn't handle it anymore. I was going to drive myself insane. I needed to do something.

Getting off the couch, I began to turn to the door but stopped when I picked up Karabo's scent. It made me change course and instead I turned around and jogged upstairs, walking into his room quietly before I stepped up to his bed. The only reason I had entered the room was because he was asleep. I stood beside his bed quietly for a few seconds, slightly nervous, before kneeling down as I stared at him and couldn't help but smile despite my fatigue. He gave a soft sigh and I watched him snuggle into his pillow. I lifted my hand but stopped just short of touching his face as my smile fell. He made me feel so many different things...

I dropped my hand holding back a sigh. I seemed to sigh more than I spoke now.

He seemed calm. I was glad. At least he didn't look hurt. I kept hurting him, I didn't know how else to make him stay away from me. I felt bad about it but... it was terrifying having him near me. It just showed me how much I was lacking.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. He deserved so much more than me. He deserved more than a jealous, mess of a mate.

I got up and began to leave but stopped when he spoke.

"Couldn't even apologise directly to me?" Karabo sat up staring at me, his eyes looking like he had not been asleep even before I walked in. So that cute snuggle before was his acting...? Despite the small amount of time I spent knowing him, I was going to miss him so much.

"Uh... I'm kind of a coward." I informed him, hesitantly walking back over to his bed.

"You're kind of an Alpha." he smiled back.

"Am I?" I gave a dry chuckle that sounded more like a croak.

"Eli, I don't want your pack... You know. If-If that's why you're mad at me..." He looked down trying to hide his eyes but even so, I could feel his pain. "Do... do you want me here?" he asked. "I'm sorry. Ashton called me and I just... I... I shouldn't have come... I'm sorry." he mumbled.

I watched him be quiet for a few seconds before I stepped towards him. It looked like he was consciously refusing to look at me so I lifted my hands to his cheeks making him look up surprised. I took advantage of his cute shock and kissed him quickly. He seemed stunned by the movement for a few seconds and I felt my heart race as my body filled with warmth. He began to respond to my kiss but I broke apart knowing I needed to go and staying like that would make it harder. I immediately pulled him into a tight hug shutting my eyes and smiling at how comforting it felt to just be like that with him, though there was still that feeling, those thoughts of how much more powerful and suited to be an Alpha he was than me ringing in the back of my mind. I felt his chin rest on my shoulder as his arms circled me. I hesitated before I pulled back away from him.

"Get some sleep," I said.

"Don't tell me that. You need to get some sleep. What is this? What's going on?" he asked alarmed.

"Nothing, it's just... Nothing, really. I'll fix myself." I said.

"'Fix'? I can help you. Just-Just tell me what to do." He said. "Not-not because I think you're weak. I've never thought that. I'm your mate, I have to help you."

"You already have." He looked at me confused. "I'm going to be okay," I added with a smile.

"How?" he asked.

"I just am." I smiled. "Please sleep, I can't if you don't," I mumbled.

He gave a wearily smile as he nodded and fell back onto his back. I chuckled lightly watching him snuggle back into his previous position with his face practically hidden under the blanket covering his body.

"Go to sleep." He ordered quietly.

I gave a nod before realising he wasn't even facing me. "Uh... night." I left his room holding my breath.

I had not lied to him. I was going to fix myself, or at least try my best to.

*****