Chapter 24.

*****

I stood in front of the mirror and lifted my finger to the scar on my arm. Why wasn't it going away? Why was my body taking so long to fix itself? What if it couldn't?

My strength had improved in the past week; I knew that because I healed faster when I hurt myself. I worked out every day, twice as much as I had ever before. If I was healing faster, shouldn't the scars be disappearing as well? The fact that they weren't fading meant that every cut or scrape I got while training added to my collection.

I looked at my arm and gasped suddenly feeling my arms go numb. I shook them as I grit my teeth before leaning my head back against the wall while feeling anger and fear flare through me as my mind replayed the knife twisting in my arm, the smile on Nicholas's face and his constant taunting and chuckling.

I couldn't get away from it. I felt everything and saw everything and even some new images whether my eyes were open or closed. It was like constant nightmares.

I jumped as sudden 'thud's sounded through the room before I sighed and looked towards the bathroom door. The shock had made my head instantly begin to pound, I couldn't stop reacting that way and it was exhausting.

"Eli? You alright in there?" Karabo's voice came from the other side of the door. He had not left for home yet. Perhaps because my family was urging him to stay?

Everyone loved him.

"Fine," I replied.

I didn't hear his footsteps retreat. Instead, there was a softer knock.

"Eli, you're –" Just the tone of his voice annoyed me and I could already tell what he was going to say. Couldn't he take a hint? I didn't need him to act like I was a fucking child. I didn't need him to pry into what he thought I felt.

"I said I'm fine, Karabo." My voice edged with finality.

It took a few seconds, but I heard his soft steps back away from the door before they retreated and disappeared somewhere down the hall. I lifted my hands running them over my face and into my hair before I fisted my hands in my hair. Did I hurt him? Why was I annoyed at him? No, I was annoyed at myself and just taking it out on him and everyone else. I was annoyed by my own weakness. My inability to fight them. To fucking heal properly. I shook my head.

Stop moping and get stronger, Eli.

Obviously, all of the work I was doing wasn't enough.

------

I sat with my chin on my interlaced fists as I thought. I wasn't thinking about anything in particular, just couldn't seem to focus on where I was or what I was supposed to be doing so was letting my mind drift aimlessly. I could focus somewhat when I was training, but I didn't want anyone else asking me if I was alright so I had taken a break and come home to do nothing but sit on the couch and wonder about what I was doing.

I shut my eyes feeling tired but they snapped back open and my hand shot out to grab whoever I had just heard move. I looked at the hand that had reached to touch my shoulder, my hand tightly gripped around the thin wrist it was attached to making the woman wince painfully. I immediately let go.

"B-Bonnie, I'm sorry," I said quickly as I intertwined my fingers again and placed my hands between my knees trying to stop myself from doing any more random reactions like that. I don't know why I was so on edge, I knew I was not alone in the house; I had heard my Dad and Bonnie as soon as I walked in earlier.

"It's okay." She smiled, "Uhm, we're all going to watch a movie, you should come with."

"No," I replied. "I'm tired," I added trying to sound less rude.