Chapter 22.

*****

There was a gentle tugging at my hair as though something was brushing against it or someone was stroking it. I felt a weight on my stomach too, it wasn't very heavy but it was there. What was going on? Had I been moved while I was asleep? I couldn't feel anything burning or weighing on my wrists. I began to open my eyes but stopped when I heard soft singing.

"Babe, stop singing, it's not going to help our son wake up; you might even make him decide not to." I heard a weak voice whisper, it was followed by a tired chuckle.

"Shut up, you're not the only singer in our family." A second voice used the same light tone.

"Right, but you may just be the only one who can't sing to save your life." the first voice spoke again, "...None of ours can save his..." his voice cracked and I felt the hand on my head move away.

"Hey, Love. He's okay; you heard Max say he's recovering well." Paps?

"He's not awake, Corey. It doesn't matter what Max says. He isn't awake, so we can't know if he's okay." How were they there? Or... where was I?

I opened my eyes and instantly realised I was in my room as my eyes landed on a picture of the moon I had pasted on the ceiling when I was a teenager and never bothered removing, the voices belonging to my parents were silent as they sat on either side of my bed, staring at each other.

I opened my mouth but only a croak left my throat, it succeeded in making both their heads swing to my direction as I coughed.

"Eli," I gave a horse chuckle trying to protest as I received a crushing hug and kiss on my hair before my dad held some water to my lips as he lifted my head off the pillow slightly. I drank still feeling the weight on my stomach and let my eyes fall as soon as I was done. I was met by a head of dark hair and lifted my hand to pat the head so I could make the person move but I stopped when I realised who it was and dropped my hand back to my side.

"Karabo?" I whispered. How was he there?

"He's exhausted. He only just fell asleep." Paps informed me. So in other words he meant 'be quiet Eli'.

How did I get into my room?

"Eli?" I looked towards the roof leaning my head back onto my pillow as everything ran through my mind. It had been his, the first voice I had heard back there before I passed out. I wished it had not... I clenched my teeth.

"Eli?" I blinked before looking towards Dad.

"Uh, yes?" I mumbled.

"Your mate is an Alpha?"

I looked down at Karabo and then back to my dad, my shoulders shrugging very slightly.

"Can... Can I uh... get cleaned up?" I asked softly.

"No, Eli, you need to stay in bed longer –" Paps began.

"I'm fine." I chuckled sitting up slowly as I moved Karabo's head gently before I slid out from under him and laid his head back on the bed with my pillow replacing my torso.

I stretched as soon as I was standing straight and grinned at my parents who just stared at me confused and concerned before I walked into my bathroom and let the smile fall locking the door behind me.

I ran my hands through my hair and looked down at the clothing I had definitely not been wearing when they found me because those were all blood-stained. I lifted my hand to place it on my chest feeling myself shiver as I thought of the pain felt in the last few moments before I passed out. Ashton's blood... Had he healed me with his blood? No. Only his mother had blood like that, blood that could make other wolves stronger, making them heal faster. He had told me his could not. He lied. Even to Tamia... But then... If he healed me with his blood why did I still feel so weak and...? I lifted my hand and looked at my wrist as my sleeve slid down my arm slightly revealing my skin. There was burn scarring around it where the cuff had been.