Chapter 29

Alex had decided to get her arm fixed while waiting for Sam and Pietro to finish their talk.

|Alex may get pissed, but if you or Wanda ever need a place to stay then you're welcome to come to mine|

"I wouldn't care that much." She muttered, only to hear Theundruk scoff. "You can shut up. The only thoughts I want to hear are mine and you keep ignoring that."

|| For your own good ||

"Oh yes, forcing me to hear Pietro's fuckton of thoughts really made me feel great."

|| You understand him. If you wish to control someone, you must first unwind their mind ||

"I don't want to mindmess him, alright. Loki did that with my dad and he still has nightmares because of it."

|| It is not 'mind messing. You are teleporting your internal conscience into their mind to manipulate them ||

"And you don't see what's fucked up with that?"

|| Someone is coming. If you allowed me to open your mind, you could have known that yourself ||

"If you stop forcing me to intrude on Pietro's thoughts, then maybe I'd be more open to other people."

|| Just as you were destined for me, he was destined for you and I intend to not let his previous...how would you say it? 'Fuck-ups' ruin your purpose to protect me ||

There was a knock on the door so Alex had to settle on muttering a swear word at Theundruk. The door opened, revealing two people. One of them was an agent whose son Alex had dated, the other she didn't recognise.

The one she didn't know had shoulder-length hair— grey, but not from age. She looked Tony's age, if not slightly younger and her eyes were a harsh, metallic blue against the grey tint of her skin.

"Are you Alex?" She asked.

"Alessandra."

"Bless you."

"No, Alessandra is my name." Any normal person would have been embarrassed at the mistake but the grey lady simply inclined her head in understanding and crossed the room.

"I am Sidero Sablinova." She held out her hand and, after prompting from Theundruk, Alex shook it.

"Not to be rude, but what do you want?"

"I thought you may like a hand."

<~~>

"Oh my fucking god."

Alex had assumed that Sidero's offer of a hand was one of those non-literal American sayings, but no, after following the two agents, Sidero had unlocked a large suitcase to reveal five prosthetic hands.

"Like them?" Jojo, the other agent, asked.

"Yes, they're...beautiful."

"Practical too," Sidero added, gesturing at the first and second prosthetics, "These two are designed to support the weight of up to three average-sized men and the others work more like a penknife, with items put into the fingers. All water and flame resistant too, we made sure of it."

"They're weapons?" The question was only used to cover Alex's disappointment.

"Obviously."

"Why." Anger replaced disappointment, the feeling rising inside Alex. It wasn't a common one for her and even now, Theundruk was trying to quell the adrenaline.

|| I need you calm for this next bit ||

Sidero exchanged a glance with Jojo, "What do you mean?"

|| Oh, these are good at protecting their thoughts. Prepare yourself||

Alex opened her mouth but no words came out. Instead, she gaped dumbly and pressed a hand to her suddenly aching head as the thoughts of Jojo spilled into her mind:

|does she know?|

"I...I'm not...My." Alex stuttered, trying to push Theundruk and Jojo out of her mind. "My disability is not a weapon, I don't want it to be."

"It's to protect you."

|and track you|

Alex's head twitched, as though the movement would break the connection between her and Jojo's thoughts. It didn't, but the thoughts quietened enough for Alex to sort herself out.

"If it was to protect me." Alex spoke slowly, "Then it would have been made to work exactly like a real hand. If you think you know me well enough to have an influence over a part of me, then you should know that I work with knives, throwing them usually."

"You should at least try one."

|we can offer a drink, slip the tracker in there. No, what if she doesn't digest it properly, the signal will be too blurred to track them|

"No. I don't want to owe you a favour and I don't want your shitty, dehumanising prosthetics."

"Harsh words."

"Did you ask any agents like me if that's what they wanted? Even if yes," Alex waved off Jojo's attempt to speak, "that's their individual choice. How dare you do this, not even give me a choice between a normal prosthetic and a weaponised one."

|| This next bit may hurt ||

Sidero methodically closed the lid of the case, blue eyes never once moving away from Alex's. The world was blurring and Alex was hit with a sudden awareness that the ground was about to be a lot closer.

|| Keep holding on ||

"I don't have anything to hold onto." Grunted Alex.

|| They want Ultron's body. To make a weapon. Oh, I like that, we should do that ||

"I need a chair," Alex said, and immediately crumbled to the ground. She was still conscious, barely. Theundruk had lessened their grip on her mind but it was too late and Alex could feel her legs buckling now under her weight.

|| I'll send word to Pietro when you're up ||

A/N yes, I know Cate Blanchett is Hela but she's also my Silver Sable