Chapter 19

"Have you seen Wanda?"

"Have you heard of something called privacy, asshole!" Pietro didn't seem aware of Alex's annoyance, he was panting and looked near frantic.

"Where is she? Did she leave the tower?"

"I don't know, I've just woken up." Alex glanced over at her clock to see the time was just after half five in the afternoon, "Why do you need her?"

"She shouldn't be out alone, not in public."

"Give me five minutes to get ready and we can go find her."

"No." Pietro ran out of the room again, just missing the remote Alex threw at him. Leaning back on her cushions, Alex teleported the cookie in her pocket into her hand and happily began eating it. It was a little stale, not the worst thing she'd eaten.

"Did she tell you if she was leaving the tower? Leave a note?" Pietro had returned again, one hand clutching his side and the other beating an irregular rhythm against his leg.

"This is the first time you talk to me in two days and it's about Wanda? I needed to speak to you, it was important and you kept on ignoring me." Pietro had frozen completely and Alex barrelled on. "Wanda's a big girl, I'm sure she can buy a carton of milk without you escorting her there and back."

Pietro still hadn't moved, causing Alex to sit up properly,

"Pietro?" He raised a finger to his lips, head tilted like he was listening. Alex followed suit, but the only thing she could hear was the whir of the TV. She was about to cast it off and speak again when Pietro moved; picking her off the bed and trapping both of them in Alex's closet.

It was cramped, Pietro had shoved her behind the hanging clothes. Alex wanted to ask what was going on yet she was scared she already knew.

They both heard a blasting noise. Pietro gasped, only quietly but Alex still reached her hand out to take his arm, to both reassure and warn him. There was another noise, a thud followed by a second, louder thud and Alex realised that they had knocked down her door.

Pietro was pressed against her in the next second and whispered in Alex's ear, "Teleport us. You don't have to do it far but we need to get out of here."

"I can't."

"Can you teleport yourself?"

"Yes."

"Good." Pietro took her hand, putting her fingers into the right position. "Do it, now."

The closet doors opened and shut almost instantly and Alex heard Pietro shout,

"I don't think you're meant to be in here."

There were gunshots, Pietro was saying something but his words were being drowned out. Alex stood there, immobile in her fear. Pietro's voice stopped and Alex bent over, clutching at her forehead as she was hit with the memory of the same thing happening to her mother.

There was a crack, the entire closet shifting as something was thrown against it. That was enough to pull Alex out of what was nearly a full flashback and she snapped her fingers as the closet door was thrown open.

<~~>

Pietro knew he had to get out of the tower. Around him was chaos as Ultron's sentries raided the tower. He took out as many as he could, tearing through them as he looked for Wanda but she was nowhere. He ran through the living room at one point just in time to see Thor being injected with something that made him collapse onto the floor.