Chapter 3; The Journey Begins

My eyes moistened and a tear streamed down my left cheek and another down my right. A couple I passed by looked at me, then looked away. Before I knew it, I found myself sitting on a stool at the bar connected to the hotel. How did I get here? A man walked in the entrance of the bar as I looked up. He went to the bartender and talked to him for a brief moment.

This man was the man I saw yesterday. The one with his wife. The beautiful couple. But why is he here? The sudden change in music carried me out of my lonesome thoughts.

It's a little bit funny this feeling inside

I'm not one of those who can easily hide

I don't have much money but boy if I did

I'd buy a big house where we both could live

If I was a sculptor, but then again, no

Or a man who makes potions in a traveling show

I know it's not much but it's the best I can do

My gift is my song and this one's for you

And you can tell everybody this is your song

It may be quite simple but now that it's done

I hope you don't mind

I hope you don't mind that I put down in words

How wonderful life is while you're in the world.

The man passionately sang along with the song. He gestured to the bartender and said something. I couldn't hear him, but he took down his drink in one shot. He gestures for another one and takes that one down, too. He still quietly hummed to the song as he picked up the new cup about to down it, but I walk over, push his arm down, and sit next to him.

Why did I do that? I blinked, surprising myself. He analyzed my face for a minute and laughed. "One for her too." He finally said and downed the drink in his hand. I was satisfied with his reaction. I drank whatever the bartender handed to me in one shot and looked to the stranger next to me. His smile made me skeptical.

"Why're you here?" He asked.

"What's your name?" I replied.

"I asked you first." He said.

"What do you mean by here? "Here" as in "here in the bar", or "here" as in "here in this . . . amazing vacation spot"? I asked sarcastically, remembering the incident that just happened.

""Here in the bar."" He looked down as he replied with a chuckle

"That's something I won't tell a person I don't know." I said.

"Fine. You want to know my name?"

"Yeah." I replied simply.

"Well that's something I won't tell a person I don't know either." He said. I looked away as I laughed at his immature attitude.

"Blake." He began. "Blake Yao."