7

september 10th, 1993

the next day i was determined to pretend it never happened. i walked into school with my black doc martins and jean skirt and saw the 4 guys all hanging out around my locker, waiting for me.

i walked over silently and tried slipping behind alex to my locker, but no luck.

"hey!" alex said, smiling merrily.
i smiled back weakly.
"hi alex" i said, back to the shy state i was in.
he looked at the guys who hadn't seen me yet and gently grabbed my arm and pulled me into a janitors closet.

"first the bruises on your arms, now they're all over your legs, arms, and you have a busted lip. you have scratches like someone was grabbing you. jasey, are you okay?" alex asked, concerned

i nodded, "yea" i whispered

he looked at me questioningly

"my dad he uh... doesn't like me coming home too late" i said awkwardly

"oh" alex said, in a state of pure shock

"i'm uh, i'm leaving after this year because we'll all be graduating. my brother ben is taking my little sister penny to california with him" i said, nodding.

"it's only september" alex said quietly

i shrugged.

"i'll live"

i hadn't talked to any of them all day. instead of sitting with them at lunch i sat in a bathroom stall. gross, i know. it's not like i even ate anything, my dad made me nauseous last night.

the day was over and i walked past the four guys and slipped behind zack so i was grabbing my books and putting them in my light pink backpack that was one of my cousins hand me downs.

"jasey please" rian said, putting his hand on my shoulder, which i soon casually shook off.

"i'm okay, ri. i promise" i said, swinging the backpack over my shoulder and walking away, overhearing someone who sounded an awful lot like alex talking about how they can't lose anymore people.