Chapter 24 - Respect

Start from the beginning

I hug her back when she says that last part.

“Will do,” I whisper in her ear.

She pulls back and gives me one last smile before she and Charlie get in the truck and drive away and stay there watching until they disappear in the horizon. I didn’t think I would see Ella here. I had assumed she would never come back, like Harry and Niall thought. I wonder what would’ve happened if Niall had walked in instead of me. What would have they done? What would Niall say if he knew Ella was here and he didn’t get to see her? Would he get sad? Happy? Should I tell him?

“Hey there,” I hear someone saying and I scream, jumping five feet in the sky.

I turn around and I find Harry laughing at me. My heart is in my throat and I have to fight to catch my breath. He really scared me.

“Harry,” I whine but he keeps laughing. “Don’t scare me like that. I was deep in my thoughts,” I scold him but he keeps laughing.

“I never heard you being so loud,” he laughs. “Sorry, though.”

“It’s okay,” I tell him once my heartbeat slows down a bit. “What are you doing here?”

“Oh, I saw your truck so I thought you were here and… yeah, that,” he replies with his usual kind smile, all laughter gone. “Why were you so deep in your thoughts?”

“Oh I was… I was thinking, nothing important,” I reply, not sure if I should tell him about Ella. Maybe he’d tell Niall but I’m beginning to think it wouldn’t be good.

Ella said it would ruin all what they’ve done so far, didn’t she? He’s tried to move on. Harry regrets he forced Niall to come here because he now knows it hurt his friend. If I tell Niall that Ella was here I’m sure it’ll bring all the pain back. He would look like Ella looked when I told her Niall was here. I saw the sorrow in her eyes and Niall has had enough. It wouldn’t make any difference, right? If Ella didn’t want to see Niall now I need to respect that. Her decision is to stay away and not tell Niall she was around. If I tell Harry he will tell Niall because, after all, that’s why they really came here.

“Are you busy now?” he asks me next and I shrug.

“I was going to go back to the lake. Why?”

“Uh… I have nothing to do so… well, maybe I could keep you company, if you don’t mind, of course.”

I smile at him, loving the idea. “I don’t mind at all,” is my answer.

“Great!” he chirps so happily. “By the way, your birthday is getting closer! Any idea of what you want to do?”

We start walking in the direction I left the truck, by the kitchen entrance. There’s something reassuring in walking next to Harry although my heart is always racing and I feel the butterflies fluttering in my belly.

“Uh… I dunno, I haven’t thought about that,” I confess. I’ve been so centred in working with Mare that I haven’t given my birthday a second thought.

“Well, if you don’t have any request I’ll have to organise it all. I’m thinking of a big party with hundreds of guest and you can make a huge entrance in an elephant. All the eyes will be on you and then—”

“NO!” I exclaim, horrified at the mere idea and Harry laughs again.

“You don’t want an elephant? Well, I guess I can get a white horse if you want,” Harry carries on but I even stop walking, my eyes wide in horror.

“Please, no. I— I could never—”

Harry burst out laughing and I’m just more confused. “I’m joking, Ariel. I know you wouldn’t feel comfortable.” His smile is reassuring and I can breathe again. “Something quiet and simple, yet special. Like you,” he says and the butterflies go crazy in my belly at his words.

“Th-thank you,” I say, blushing furiously and avoiding his eyes as I put a lock of hair behind my ear.

“It’s the true,” he continues and I can’t dare to meet his eyes, but I know he’s watching me. “Well, let’s go. And don’t worry, I’ll make sure your birthday will be a good one. It’s eighteen, after all. Come on, let’s go, your truck is there.”

I don’t say anything else, I resume my walking with him next to me trying not to overthink what he said, but failing. I can’t stop thinking of his words.

Oh boy.

-:-:-

Well, with almost 4K votes how wasn't I going to give you an early update?

Dedication to @That_Crazy_Kid. I love how you described Ariel and Ella.

Bell, xx

NU: Friday (3.5K votes for early update)