1.2 | Papers

I was back at Ben's apartment early the next morning. I had gone home for the night, but all that had required was walking across the hall since the apartment parallel to Ben's was mine. We had grown up neighbors, and even when we moved out of our childhood homes, we remained neighbors. Ben had agreed to me going home for the night since I would be just across the hall in case something went wrong.

I changed Emma's diaper while Tucker worked on labeling the food in the fridge with a Sharpie. There had been a brief argument the night before about Tucker refusing to let Danny eat his food, so he had taken to scribbling his name on anything that was his.

Ben had the sleeping habits of a teenager and didn't wake up until right before his afternoon shift at the bar. He had finally gotten out of bed and had gotten dressed in his casual work uniform, a chambray button down shirt with a black tie and khaki jeans. He fixed his tie as he stepped out of his bedroom into the kitchen.

"I should be back by five!" I announced, hurrying towards the door before we could stop him.

"Where are you going?" I interrogated, handing Emma off to Danny, who still seemed nervous holding her, but not as much as he did the day before.

"Uh, work. I've got a shift." Ben informed us.

"Really? You couldn't get anyone to cover for you?" I tested.

"Oh, you see, that would have been a good idea. Too late now!" He hurried towards the door, but Danny stopped him.

"I'm not watching your kid." Tucker decided. "I have a job, too, remember?"

"Well, then, Cassie, can you please watch her?" Ben requested.

"I would, but I have an audition." I explained to him, taking Emma back after I had prepared her a bottle. "It's for that really big Reese Witherspoon movie I told you about. I can't miss it."

"Right, then Danny it is." Ben ran out the door and Tucker bolted after him, leaving Danny stranded again as they closed the door. He showed me his puppy dog eyes and I had to fight the urge to give in.

"Sorry, Danny." I apologized, passing Emma and the bottle to him. "Bye, Danny!"

###

"Hey, Cas!" Ben called as soon as he spotted me walking into the bar. "How'd your audition go."

"Really good, actually! They said they'd be getting back to me soon." I told him as I slid onto the stool at the bar, across from where he was mixing a drink for a customer.

"They'd be idiots not to cast you." He decided as he slid the glass down to the bar. The customer caught it and nodded a thanks to Ben.

"Well, thanks." I said gratefully. "Hey, has Danny called?"

"No. Not yet, at least."

"I'm sure he's doing great. He's really good with Emma. The way he holds her, and rocks her, and..." I realized I had rested my head in my hand and was gazing off. Oh crap.

"Holy crap!" Ben exclaimed, looking at me with wide eyes. "You like Danny!"

"No, I do not!" I defended, but I didn't seem to convince him.

"You know, you're an amazing actress until it comes to the guys you like. How long have you liked him?" Ben interrogated and I rolled my eyes, but complied anyways.

"I don't know. Since recently, I guess." I responded, trying to pinpoint an exact moment, but couldn't come up with an exact example. "I don't know, he came back, and something was just... different."

Ben was about to respond, probably some sort of innuendo, but he was distracted by his phone buzzing. Usually he didn't have his phone on him at work, but he must have made an exception today. He opened the text, his mouth falling open as he read it.