Chapter 3: Teleportation

I grabbed my iPhone out of my backpack and checked the time. It was 1:24, that would give me time to teleport to California and change my age.

I chose to go to California because I secretly hoped I would run across Toby and meet him, and be friends, and then be more than friends and then... Well, you get the point.

The sunlight blinded me when I stepped outside for the first time in hours. Seeing the sun in Minnesota while it's winter is pretty rare so I cherished it and closed my eyes to soak up the sun.

I opened my eyes just in time to see a car screech by and send a pile of slush flying on to me. I immediately felt extreme anger overcome me and I wanted to shoot that guy down.

"WATCH WHERE YOU'RE DRIVING YOU IDIOT!!" I yelled at the top of my lungs. I flipped him off and he gave me an annoyed look and rolled his eyes through his side mirror.

People these days! So rude!! Ugh.

So now my clothes were soaking wet and my mood had just plummeted to a negative degree. Great. Now I need to find a secret place to Morph and teleport...

I've only Morphed one other time and I had to do it in a public bathroom. You have to be strategic with how you change, you can't have anyone see you or even think twice about you.

I grabbed my phone out again and shoved my earbuds into my ears. The sound of Toby singing about his side facial hair calmed my nerves as I walked down the sidewalk towards the nearest fast food place like a wet mop.

I stepped to the slow beat of the song and avoided stepping on the cracks. I've always gone to a great extent to dodge the lines like they were going to determine the fate of my mother's back. I don't know why I did it, I just haven't dropped the habit.

The cold wind bit at my face and I felt like I was going to die of frostbite. I do love my sweet home of Minnesota, but sometimes the cold was too much for me.

A crappy McDonalds was coming into view and I quickened my pace. The thought of food came into my mind as a wave of slightly burned meat came rushing at my face. I reached the McDonalds and walked in.

Ok Lauren, you can do this, I pep talked myself. I inhaled and started sneaking towards the bathroom. Luckily no one looked over at the random teenager ninja-ing to the bathroom.

I got to the door and slowly pushed it open. There was one lady in the light yellow room with her makeup bag to the right of her. We made awkward eye contact through the mirror and I tiptoed over to the end stall as if I was going to wake some giant monster.

The stall door was closed and locked in a matter of seconds. I heard the creak of the bathroom door and footsteps follow it out.

"Thank god," I sighed in relief. Now I just need to Morph.

Morphing from what I experienced is extremely painful. It's like a bunch of fiery tongs gripping at your skin and pulling as hard as possible. This isn't going to be pleasant, but I'll do it for Toby.

I took off my shirt and put it on the hanger on the back of the stall door. From my past experience when I Morphed, my shirt ripped because I had gotten a lot taller at 20 from 9.

I took the rest of my clothes off and goosebumps covered my body. I shivered and held my breath as if I was taking an underwater dive.

I thought intensely about becoming 29 and growing taller and older. I visualized myself sprouting like a sped up video of a plant growing that you would see on a nature show.

Fire burned across my body and my skin seemed to rip apart as I tried not to scream, but instead I let out an agonizing groan that echoed through the room.

I prayed that my loud groan wouldn't attract any attention and have something bad happen.

I quickly got dressed and prepared myself for more pain that was to come.

I braced myself once again and thought about the Starbucks that Toby goes to and pictured me standing in the bathroom there.

My vision went blurry as I struggled to hold on to the image while I felt like I was jello floating through darkness.

I was slammed onto the cold tiles of the Starbucks bathroom with a thud. When I got up and opened the door I saw a certain brown and curly haired, hazel-green eyed man sitting at a table close to the window talking to his phone.

At the time I thought I was going to pass out just from being in the same room as Tobuscus, he looked at me in the eye and smiled, and then everything went black.