Chapter 3

It seemed the night had sped by, because it was already morning. The sun rose into the sky, a orange light shimmering on the ground in sluggish manner. Maui was snoring away, his deep breaths keeping a stray leaf afloat. The sun's blinding sunlight flashed in Maui's face, yet that barely even caused much of a stir. Maui's raucous snoring shook the whole beach, disturbing a bunch of crabs hiding in a burrow. Mini-Maui silently grumbled in annoyance, grabbing a tattoo stitched to Maui's shoulder and yanking it hard. The tiny tatoo then let go, watching the other tatoo slap the larger counterpart awake. The Demigod shot up from the ground, bolting awake.

"OWWW!! I'M UP!" Maui yelled. He looked down at his right arm, glaring as he watched Mini-Maui silently laughing his butt off.

"Very funny." Maui said, flicking the tattoo onto his backside. After landing on a pair of tattoo drums, Mini-Maui crossed his arms in a pout. Maui got up on his feet, looking at his surroundings. He picked up his hook and started walking towards the temple, whistling a little tune.

"Help! HELP ME!" A voice suddenly rang out. Maui whipped around, looking for the source of the voice. But all he saw was a large, rusty metal pot. It had been washed up on the shore not too long ago. Walking cautiously towards the pot, Maui lifted it with his hook. He didn't find anyone but a strangely human-sized Coconut crab hiding inside. The abnormally huge crustacean was a shade of light purple with a beige underbelly and wore a large but plain shell on his back. The crab looked up and immediately turned pale at the sight of the Demigod.

"AAAAHHHH!! DON'T EAT ME! I DON'T TASTE GOOD!!" The crab screamed in terror, inching towards the end of the pot. Maui just scoffed, throwing the discarded metal off the terrified crab.

"Relax. I don't eat giant talking crabs." Maui said. The crab looked at Maui with suspicion before noticing his tattoos, his demeanor suddenly changing.

"Oohh! You have some awesome tattoos. They really fit you." The crab said, inspecting the tattoos with interest. Mini-Maui swung his hook and shapeshifted into a bulldog, barking madly at the crab.

"Woah! They come to life too! This is like... Next level stuff! You must have some really talented tattoo artists back home. But look at me, all plain. I'm just a drab little crab compared to you. I'm Tamatoa." Tamatoa said, reaching out a pincer to shake Maui's hand.

"I'm Maui." Maui replied, shaking Tamatoa's pincer. Maui turned towards the direction of the temple, noticing the skies suddenly turn black as if a giant smokebomb exploded over the area. Maui's eyes widened in panic at the sight.

"N-No! NO!" Maui yelled, shapeshifting into his giant hawk form and flying towards the temple.

"Hey! Maui! What about me?!" Tamatoa exclaimed, but Maui just kept flying.

"..... Oh, barnecles. WAIT UP!!" Tamatoa hollered, scuttling after Maui.