Playing Games

Chapter Three:

Pulling up outside his house, we exited the cab and paid our fare. David's place was an apartment like mine but his was obviously fancier. He unlocked the door and turned on the lights to reveal a stylish entryway with shiny wooden floors and a massive chandelier, that led into a large living room and the stairs to the top of the apartment where I assumed the bedrooms were. I walked in and hung my coat on a copper coat rack before we headed into the living room. I sat precariously on the edge of the couch not wanting to appear too much at home and I was also rather nervous. His house was so much nicer than my own and I felt like that poor friend who was always going to her friends house because hers wasn't as nice as there's. That was until I saw the pile of board games sitting in the cabinet under the TV.

"Can we play Monopoly!?" I asked excitedly rushing over and selecting the game.

"Yeah we can," He laughed mildly shocked. "Many girls usually don't come into my house and ask to play board games. This is definitely something new."

"Well if you are going to put your board games on show you are going to have to assume that someone wants to play them and that would be me. Also we will know this is a real friendship if it survives Monopoly," I told him opening up the box and laying out the board. He sat down on the floor next to me so our shoulders were touching and we placed the board on the coffee table.

"Do you know what this needs?" He asked separating the chance and community chest cards.

"What?"

"Snacks." I just laughed as he jumped up to get some food. He was right any good game needed some snacks. My phone vibrated in my pocket and I pulled it out to find another text from Macy.

How are you and David going? What are you doing? ;) No dirty details please - Macy xx

I sent Macy a text telling her that we were about to play Monopoly which she was not happy about.

Seriously?! You are playing Monopoly?! I can't believe this, actually I can. Hurry up and make a move :)

I turned my phone on silent and ignored her. I was not about to make a move on a man I had just met this morning. Especially because I didn't normally make moves on anyone. David came back with a bowl of popcorn and chocolate.

"Savoury and sweet, need the combination," He said smiling and placing the two bowls on the table.

"Perfect, I love chocolate." We both reached for a piece each. My hand bumped into his and I quickly retracted blushing. Now I was being a bumbling idiot. I flicked up my eyes to watch him, to see him blushing as well.

"Well let's get playing, what piece do you want? I want the dog," I told him selecting the piece and placing it at go.

"I'll have the car, also it's a Scottish Terrier."

"Oh you see I used to play the New Zealand edition so I don't know half of these places. Or the pieces." David spent the game telling me where everything was while beating me. I had never been good at Monopoly probably because I never had the determination to finish the game. I usually gave up halfway through or my brother cheated then got bored.

The evening was spent playing Monopoly, The Game of Life, Trivial Pursuit and Cluedo. I lost the Monopoly and the Trivial Pursuit but it's not my fault that I'm from New Zealand and knew no British trivia. I did ace all of the New Zealand and Australian questions though.

"My bum hurts," I said. We had been sitting on the ground for ages playing the games. Currently it was Cluedo.

"Well come on, we will go play on the bed so you can sit on the pillows," David replied picking up the board gently and making sure the pieces didn't slide. I pretended to not acknowledge the connotations that came with going into David's room but I couldn't. I WAS GOING TO DAVID TENNANT'S ROOM TO PLAY CLUEDO. Only I could be in this situation and not have made a move I thought sitting on the bed. Once we had finished playing the game it was two in the morning.

"Thank you David," I said smiling, "I haven't thought about the results of the auditions once. Which is surprising as I would usually be fretting the entire evening," I said lying back on the bed peacefully.

"You shouldn't worry, you were amazing and they would be stupid not to pick you," He said reassuringly. I smiled at him.

"You don't need to say that, you just met me and don't owe me anything."

"No I don't owe you anything but I wanted to tell you anyway," He replied softly.

"What do we want to do? It's a bit late for me to go home."

"We could watch a film?" He suggested leaning back so he was lying on the pillows next to me.

"What do we want to watch?" I asked intrigued to see what he suggested.

"Well you seem a fan of Harry Potter so how about The Prisoner of the Azkaban as you were reading it this morning, we can watch it upside down if you want a new perspective?" I hit him with a pillow right in the face. "Ow what was that for?!"

"Making fun of me. But yes I would love to watch Harry Potter." He just laughed and hit me back with the pillow before putting on the movie. I placed all of the pillows in a pile against the headrest, stacking them and arranging them to form my makeshift fortress. I grabbed some blankets and draped them around the back so it created a roof. David came back with the collection of DVDs and placed the one we wanted in the player. Sitting down next to me he hit play.

"How did you make this?" He asked gesturing to the fortress I had just constructed.

"My brother and I use to love making fortresses like this when we were watching films so I thought I would make one. And they are cosy."

"That's really cool!" We lay back and watched the film and he laughed when I talked along with the characters, I couldn't help that I had seen it that many times. Half way through he fell asleep and though I was slightly offended it was three in the morning so I wasn't surprised. I turned off the movie and snuggled under the blankets not caring I was still in my clothes. In his groggy sleep state he wrapped his arm around me and pulled me close. I nestled up next to him and smiled gently. He was so much taller than me which was incredibly obvious when my feet could curl around his knees.

"Goodnight David."

"Goodnight Zoe," He mumbled in his gorgeous Scottish accent. I fell asleep smiling.