06

▂▂▂▂

"Mom!"

My eyes shot open, my senses were on high alert. I threw my duvet off and jumped out of bed, running out my room and into the hallway. I ran to Theo's room. He was sitting up in his bed, crying harshly, "Mommy!"

I sat beside him, pulling him into my arms. I held his head close to my chest, "Hey, hey, what happened?"

"I had a nightmare." He sobbed.

"It's okay, you're okay." I reassured him. I moved his head from my chest and into view. I wiped his tears away with my thumb, "What was it about, Theo?"

"There was a man." He said, his little voice shaking as he spoke, "He was hurting these kids and I think he hurt Hope, too."

"I'm here. You're okay." I told him, trying to calm him down.

"Can I see daddy?" He sobbed.

I nodded, "Of course."

I picked him up and rested him on my hip, his head leaning against my shoulder. I wiped his tears with my thumb as I walked out of the room. I headed down the stairs, hearing Hope's voice, "Mom, I'm so cold."

I walked into the living room to see Hayley hugging Hope on the sofa and Klaus was standing near them, worry across his face. His head shot up to look at me as soon as I walked in. I heard him take in a sharp breath when he noticed Theo.

"Daddy!" Theo tried to called out, his voice low.

"Theo?" Klaus questioned in concern, moving towards me. He took Theo in his arms and Theo wrapped his arms around his neck, burying his head into the crook of it. Klaus ran his hand gently down the side of my face, "Hey. What happened?"

"He had a nightmare. Something about a man hurting some children and Hope." I told him.

Klaus' eyes widened, "Hope just said something similar."

I furrowed my brows, "What?" I looked towards Hayley who was now laying on the sofa with Hope. Freya was beside them.

"She's never been sick, ever." Hayley said, holding a pale Hope close to her.

"This is a magical affliction." Freya told us, examining Hope, "It feels... I don't know, it's hard to explain. Almost cold."

Hayley flinched a little before digging her hand into her back pocket. She furrowed her brows as she pulled out a note and read it, "It's from Vincent Griffith. He knows what's wrong with Hope, he can cure her. But we have to go back to New Orleans."

I glanced up at Klaus, who was already staring at me in concern.

▂▂▂▂

"You don't need to come." Klaus said as I placed some clothes into a duffel bag.

"I want to." I replied, stuffing more clothes in the bag.

Klaus held onto my wrist, causing me to look up at him, "You and Theo are safer here. I will take Hope and get her cured and we will be straight back."

I raised an eyebrow, "You think Hayley or Elijah will allow you to go alone, to New Orleans, where you spent half a decade as Marcel's prisoner?"