Little By Little

Danzo stood at the entrance of his dominion waiting for the arrival of his students. The days were becoming shorter, winter quickly approaching on Naruto's last year in the academy. There was a lot to prepare for the boy's graduation. The Hokage was beginning to compile the team rosters, Danzo was pondering what would be the most appropriate final test for his student.

Naruto was coming back to them little by little. His old habits appearing through the cracks, barely noticeable to those outside of his circle of family and friends. When he wasn't training or in the academy, he'd returned to visiting the tombs, playing shogi with Lord Third, or spending his evenings at Ichiraku Ramen with Kakashi and Iruka. He had two sessions with Tsunade during the week to observe both his mental and physical health. Despite his hesitance, Inoichi had also agreed to work within Naruto's mindscape upon the boy's agreement with certain provisions. Inoichi made a report to Danzo and Minato after each session and while things were going slowly he felt that Naruto's mindscape was improving... healing in its own way. His main concern was that things weren't returning to their original form- the sewer being replaced by something he wasn't able to describe yet. Danzo wasn't too worried over the reports, whatever Inoichi was doing was bringing his student back and that was all that he cared about right now. After all fire destroys to create something new in its wake.

They were in view now. Naruto in between them per usual. Four inches of light blonde hair walking between two heads of black hair. To the right, Sasuke had his arm thrown over Naruto's shoulders, acting as a shield to the chilly air, while Hinata kept hold of Naruto's left hand. Sakura was to Sasuke's right, her arm barely grazing his as they walked. As the other three talked, Naruto simply nodded along with them or shrugged his shoulders. Reading his body language was quickly becoming a necessary skill when speaking to him... one which very few had learned.

Danzo watched in both amusement and amazement as Naruto tried to appease his old itch. Just as he brought his free hand up to scratch at his ear, Sakura reached over in front of Sasuke and swat his hand down and then all three of his companions shot Naruto a disapproving look. That was one habit everyone wished had not returned.

"Good afternoon, Lord Danzo." The pink haired kunoichi was perhaps a bit too chipper and bipolar for Danzo's taste but she was slowly growing on him. At the very least, she provided a buffer between Sasuke and Naruto when they were in a mood.

"Good afternoon, Sakura-chan. Do you girls have training with Tsunade this afternoon?"

"Yes, sir." Hinata whispered. It had taken a long time for Danzo to get the shy girl to respond to him and it had ultimately taken Naruto's insistence that she speak with Danzo. Before the incident, Naruto had actually shut up for a whole afternoon in an effort to force Hinata to answer all of Danzo's questions when she'd accompanied Naruto to the headquarters one day to see her cousin. It had been quite enjoyable for Naruto to watch the poor girl squirm under Danzo's stern gaze.

But that had been before the incident, now Hinata acted as Naruto's main speaker. She provided the answers to most of Danzo's questions about the boy's day at the academy and if there were any other observations he needed to know about. Had she not been apart of the main household, Danzo would have been happy to contract her as an asset for her observation skills and quick thinking.

"Well you girls best get to the hospital then, Tsunade will be a bigger terror if you're late." Both girls giggled slightly in a dry way before nodding to Danzo and the boys before taking their leave. Danzo didn't miss the slight squeeze Hinata gave Naruto's hand but he chose to overlook it. "And you boys had best come with me, you're already late as it is."

Walking in the usual training center, the three were met with Sasuke's older brother, Kakashi, and Sai, whose arm hung in a sling. Over the last several weeks, Naruto hadn't suffered any further aftershock chakra surges and had been cleared by Tsunade to resume training. His weight was back up and his body had filled back in almost to his original self. But with the weight gain came a renewed strength that Sai had experience first hand during their last spar when Naruto had snapped his clavicle with what should have been a simple open handed strike.  

Going forward, Naruto would train with someone possessing the Uchiha's kekkei genkai who was capable of tracking his movements and assessing his power.  Kakashi was reserved as Naruto's senpai and future squad leader, he would remain on the sidelines to give Naruto the orders that he needed. For the time being, Itachi would act as Naruto's main opponent and training partner until Sasuke was up for the challenge. The raven haired boy had begun spending sessions with the group to observe his brother's fighting style and how he handled Naruto, he'd incorporate what he learned into his spars with Naruto at the academy. While Danzo had been weary of the Uchiha in previous years, he had to admit that they were quite useful... not only in the role they now played in the government, police, and ninja forces but also as countermeasures and companions for Naruto and the nine-tails.

The fight was quick but not over. Danzo kept his eyes on Naruto, assessing him as needed. The boy did well in not letting Itachi get to him, he didn't respond to Itachi's goading. But there was something of Naruto's old actions and self that slipped him up, one of the first things to return to him. He liked to look at those in front of him in the eyes, it was almost a compulsion in observing who others were to him. But against an Uchiha it was his downfall.

"What kind of genjustu did you use?" Danzo asked as Itachi backed off the mats and came to the sidelines. Sasuke handed him a drink of water, which he indulged in before answering the old man.

"One to reveal his deepest fears. However long it takes depends on how deep the fear is imbedded."

"And what about anger?" Sasuke asked, nodding to the mats. Still standing in his previous spot, contained within the genjutsu stood Naruto. However, the Naruto they knew had been replaced. This one had his claws out, canines bared, and chakra drawn as it swirled fiercely around him in red gusts.

"Uhh... no one's had that reaction before..."

"I guess it's going to be a while, until he works through his anger to realize the fear and then confronts it. We might as well get comfortable. Probably should call his father as well." Kakashi suggested.

Oh... how right he was.

A/N: Sorry I'm late again, last weekend was spent moving apartments so it's been a hectic week. Let me know what you think! Hope you liked it.