Changes and Time (Editted)

"Just a flick of the wrist... don't over think it, take a breath, aim... then breathe out and throw."

He could tell that the silver haired weirdo standing behind him was getting frustrated. To some degree the boy was humored, bringing a slight upward curve to his usually straight-lined lips. A slight curve which neither his father nor Kakashi failed to miss... it was a sight for sore eyes. But on the other hand Naruto became more and more aggravated with himself just as the young man behind him became more exasperated.

Each time he tried to focus on the target he'd manage to take a breath and aim, but just as he was about to release his vision shifted and changed... normal one moment, enhanced another, then only seeing heat signatures. It was a recently developed problem that he had yet to mention to his father... if anything he'd probably tell Grandma Tsunade first. Just another thing to add to the ever growing medical file.

It was early evening... the sun was just barely setting. To his left Naruto could hear his father yawning and Kakashi's increased stressed levels where an indication of his own exhaustion. But the nine year old felt nothing... if anything he was more awake now that the sun was setting. This was nothing new, his sleep schedule had always been messed up... something he'd gotten used to over the years. He'd be up most of the night, sleep for a few hours just as the sun came up, go to school, sleep more when he got home, make dinner and eat with his father, then train and do his homework before the cycle started all over again. It wasn't healthy... but that's how things were.

His eyes were a different story. He was used to the damaging sleep schedule and the enhanced hearing and smell. He understood that his eyes were extremely sensitive to light... but he yearned for some consistency. The blindness during the day or the enhancement during the night... one or the other. Together they kept him in a constant headache, especially since his hearing was still increasing on a day by day basis.

Missing the target again, both the boy and his teaching companion sighed in defeat. It was not the right time for this, but only Naruto knew that. He had an understanding that to others... especially his classmates and the other ninjas around the village... he was just the inept son of the Fourth Hokage. A dunce with no future as a ninja.

"That's it for today... we're all pretty tired." Lies. That's all he felt like he was saying every time he opened his mouth now. Lying to his father about how he spent his time, how he was doing in school, telling everyone who asked that he was fine.

But he wasn't. He hadn't smiled a real smile in months. His father hadn't heard his laugh for that same amount of time.

But Naruto was not pressured, and he was grateful. He wasn't asked to smile or socialize, his father didn't force him into unwanted conversation. There was an unspoken agreement that when the boy needed to talk he knew where to find Minato, who wouldn't judge and would try not to get too angry. Kakashi understood this as well- when the blonde needed help, he'd come find the older boy for training purposes. And in the brief time that Kakashi had been working with the child he'd come to find that Naruto had his own ways of learning and coping with things. Normally he had the solution to the problem before he even spoke with Kakashi or Minato... he just needed a push or someone else to verify the validity of his previous thinking.

This time was no different. Regardless of Kakashi's endless tips and analysis there was no hope for Naruto in successfully throwing the shuriken in his hands until he got his eyes under control. He knew this... he didn't like it, but he knew it.

Rubbing at his eyes, trying to take the burn away, Naruto figured he'd go see Grannie Tsunade within the next couple of days-both to make her aware and to get her opinion. The blonde and white haired boys turned away from the targets with movements completely in sync, making their way over to Minato before the three of them headed back into the village for some dumplings before heading to their homes.

Several hours later a certain young blonde made his way back to the training field and began his nightly routine... knowing it would take time before he became worth anything to the eyes of the village.