Snow-blind

CHAPTER 24: SNOW-BLIND

"I am no longer haunted by my daily nightmares for now the meddling Resistance is annihilated! Gone! Forever!" the King of Hearts announced to his underlings in his court. "This good news was confirmed by the Prince Regent and the Minister of Internal Affairs!"

Shouts of "Hear, hear!" and all sorts of celebratory cheers were heard. Music to the King's ears. He continued his fiery victory speech. To add an everlasting impact, his usually deep voice climbed slightly up the scale. "In an unheralded attack on the Scientists' Domain, the last stronghold of the Resistance, they were overwhelmed by our military might! For generations to come, citizens of Wonderland will remember what misfortune awaits if they went against peace and freedom under the grace of the government!"

A thunder of applause roared. The crowd of cards chanted in unison and threw themselves flat to the ground, "Long live Great King Chanyeol!"

"Thank you. Thank you for your cooperation. Now, enjoy yourself!" In a dramatic climax, the King clenched both of his hands into fists and banged them on the rostrum with every word of the national motto, "We shall live in peace as one!"

In the midst of frenzied claps and shouts, the Knave of Hearts tugged on the King's robe. The King flashed the Knave a menacing look. Eek. The Knave shivered from head to toe. "Y—Your Majesty, what shall we award Minister Xiumin for his hard work?"

"I know that I could count on him. He's my loyal Xiumin. He's a genius!" The King showed off his pearly set of pristine white teeth in a triumphant smile. "Please call him to come here and meet me. I'll knight him with a title."

"No! He can't come yet!" the Prince Regent waved his hand desperately and tried to think of a cover-up. "Minister Xiumin is... going for a last excursion! Yes! A last excursion as a civilian before being knighted!"

"Nah! A pathetic excursion is no match for the holiday trip I'd planned for him." The King objected.

"But if it's his wish, let it be." The Prince Regent looked into his brother's eyes with a darker intention. And with much aegyo. "Will you let it be, Chanyeol hyung?"

"Sehunnie! Dare you use such dirty tactics on me? Alright! It's an honour for him too. Dear Lord, I'm so happy!" The excited King of Hearts gave the Prince Regent a bear hug. With his large frame and great force, it felt suffocating.

"Congratulations, hyungie. We'll treasure our restored peace." The Prince Regent gave his brother a meaningful grin. "One day, a new era of peace will be born."

"I know, right?" The King laughed and messed the Regent's rainbow hair. "Since it's now peace-time, we'll lessen our security measures. Armament is costly. From this day on, we can spend our gold on other better things! What about a new guillotine?"

The once empty half-table in Luhan's forbidden room was merry again. Everyone gathered around the table and had a taste of Eun-soo's kimchi spaghetti. Eun-soo wasn't the only one who deserved the credit since D.O had helped her after losing a considerable amount of cabbages. She didn't blame Kris, though. Here he was beside her, twirling the spaghetti around his fork and bringing it to his mouth. Then, he scooped some raw cabbages to spoon-feed little Ace on his lap. "Meep~" said a half-full Ace.

"Who's that?" Luhan asked, pointing at the alpaca.

"It's our new member, Ace." Kai answered.

Kris glared at Kai and refilled Ace's bowl with more cabbages. "He's more than a member, he's my—"

"We had owed him a lot! If not for him, we might have been outnumbered by the card soldiers." Lay took pride in providing his friends a minuscule enlightenment although somebody was 'hurt'. "It's a wonder that an alpaca exists in Wonderland! Even not a llama had lived here, so how can its distant cousin thrive?"