Day 42 - On the Road

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Umayos ka! Wala pa tayo sa expressway, puwede pa tayong bumalik."

He removed his hand from the throw pillow and raised it to make a promise. "Pangako mahal, we're not going to do anything you're not comfortable with. I just want to be close to you. Building memories remember? Smile na, please?"

"Joke lang! Ito naman, may tiwala po ako sa 'yo. Pero sa ngayon, inaantok pa ko. Can I take a nap? Promise, saglit lang. Then I'll be the perfect navigator. Will you be fine? Para puwede rin kitang palitan sa pagda-drive mamaya." She fixed the throw pillow on the window and leaned against it.

"Sure, I'll just pull over on a gas station somewhere pag inaantok din ako. Ayun naman pala ang gamit ng throw pillow."

"That and to ward off wandering hands." But she took his hand and intertwine her fingers with his as she settled to sleep.

RJ brought it to his lips for a quick kiss. "Dream of me."

A/N: Dream of me, dream of me fondly when you say goodbye.... promise me... okay enough. Tulog na Menggay

----------------

Maine woke up and tried to make sense of where they are. She can only see darkness except for their headlight and headlights of one or two vehicles behind them. No streetlights, not even lights from the houses they are passing by. Only stark darkness.

She tried to adjust her eyes to the darkness around them. "Nasaan na tayo?"

"We're just passing through the last towns of Nueva Ecija and will enter the province of Aurora in a few kilometers. Medyo magubat lang 'tong dinadaanan natin. I'm sure this is a scenic route during daytime. Don't worry, it will be dawn soon. Another sunrise for our memory book."

"Jusko, ang dilim! Hindi ba tayo ma-salvage dito? Hindi ka pa pagod mahal or inaantok? Bakit hindi mo ko ginising? Gusto mo ako naman ang mag-drive?"

He smiles at the concern in her voice. "Delikadong huminto dito, mahal. Buti nga may kasabay tayo kahit paisa-isang sasakyan. Okay pa naman ako. Baka may makakain ka diyan. Then, kuwentuhan mo na lang ako. Nakailang ulit na 'tong music na dala ko."

She rummaged through her bag for chips, unsalted of course. She opens it and feeds him. "Anong gusto mong kuwento? Nakakatakot, nakakainis, nakaka-inspire, o nakakatawa?"

"Any kuwentong Menggay will do. Talk to me about your childhood and your mother."

And talked she did, but instead of the difficulties, what RJ sensed from her stories are not the hardships that she and her mother experienced when she was still blind. It was how happy they are despite their handicap. Funny stories from her mother about their neighbors.

She also talked about how she adjusted when she regained her sight, how she made up for the lost time in her studies, working doubly hard in study home programs, and taking equivalency test for her high school diploma so she can get to college in time.

God, how he loves this woman!

He'll never get tired of hearing her voice and her stories. He'll never get tired of her. Period. And all is right in the world now that they are together. He can only pray that he'll be given more time to spend with her.

"Huy, nakikinig ka pa ba? Kilala mo na ba lahat ng kaklase ko at mga kapitbahay? Malapit na 'ko sa part na dadating ka na para sa career talk mo at yung first impression ko sa 'yo nung una kitang makita."

"This I got to hear. Carry on. Baka sakaling aminin mo, na crush mo talaga ko."

The car that has been behind them soon overtook them when the light started breaking over the horizon. It will be sunrise soon. Nabagalan na siguro sa kanila.