Chapter 2

Katelyn and Cameron found a local department store and bought some new clothes as well as book bags and basic school supplies for tomorrow. They then bought some pillows and blankets as well as basic necessities like a hairbrush, toothpaste, toothbrush, and deodorant. Katelyn couldn't leave without some makeup as well.

They made sure they bought everything they needed and then they were off to the grocery store. Walking into the grocery store Cameron ran right to the junk food isle making Katelyn roll her eyes, they can't be wasting money on junk food right now.

"No junk food Cam." Katelyn called out making Cameron pout. They then put a few things that will last them the week into the cart. Katelyn knew she had to learn how to cook so she tried to find boxes that already had recipes on them.

"Katy, I really want some cookies." Cameron protested again making Katelyn give him a small smile, he's been pretty bad since their father's death. Every now and then when she looks over at him he'll be silently crying.

Seeing how much Cameron wanted cookies she gave in, "Fine." She grumbled making Cameron pump his fists in the air in excitement before grabbing oreos off a shelf and dropping them into the cart. 

Their cart held the basic food staples, except the cookies, as Katelyn finally rolled the cart to the checkout line. A girl Katelyn's age was working the cash register, she had black hair with piercings on her nose and all the way up her ears. The girl also had some visible tattoos that Katelyn was looking at, she thought they were nice. She then looked at the girl's nametag which read "Maggie".

They both were silent as the girl started ringing up the food Katelyn was going to purchase. "Not very busy in here." Katelyn commented as the girl finished bagging her items as Cameron was looking at the small objects placed in the checkout lane. 

"When does this place ever have business." Maggie said blandly before telling Katelyn her total. 

Then Katelyn slapped her head as if she was stupid, "Cam we forgot shampoo could you go get some real quick." She said down to her brother who ran away on a mission before Katelyn turned back to Maggie, "Sorry." She apologized, but there was no one behind them because the place was empty.

"No problem." Maggie said sounding as though she wanted to be anywhere but here.

Cameron then came running back with a bottle of shampoo and handed it to the cashier who took it and rang it up with all the other stuff, Maggie then gave Katelyn her total again. Katelyn handed Maggie her debit card before saying, "Must be an easy job." 

"Yeah, a boring one too." The girl at the cash register said as she handed Katelyn's card back to her. Katelyn thought Maggie was nice but just not particularly as nice to the customers like the cashiers were back in her hometown. 

Katelyn then thanked the cashier before telling Cameron to help her with the bags. They made it out of the grocery store and placed the bags in the back seat of the truck. The ride home to the apartment was quiet and just as they were pulling into the apartment complex Cameron spoke up, "I miss dad." 

Hearing that Katelyn sighed, she missed him too but she just couldn't think about that right now. Especially when so much was on her plate, she had to make sure they get settled and couldn't have any distractions. "I know buddy, he's in a better place now." She responded as she put the truck in park, Cameron just nodded before grabbing some bags and climbing out. 

Katelyn felt bad for her brother but knew that he would be okay in the end. She then grabbed some more bags after turning off the truck and carrying them into her apartment. Setting the bags down on the kitchen counter Katelyn told Cameron to start putting things away before going back out to get the rest.