Ch. 26 Bubble Wrapped Part 2

Start from the beginning

Roll looked down at the ground, not sure what to say. She hadn't much interaction with others, since she had spent the last few years as Dr. Light's assistant. She had only been with Rock for a short time since then...

Rock.

"I...I don't really understand what it's like. To believe that you're one thing...but to be something else. I wish I could, but I can't relate to you on that." Roll looked at Tempo. "But I know someone who can."

She sighed and looked towards the ceiling. "You know, Rock is the closest thing I'll ever have to a brother. And I was separated from him, and any memories of me were removed from him. We're like family, but he only met me about a month ago."

"He thought he was human too. Just like you. But it turned out he wasn't. To this day, I don't think he's over it yet. Maybe...maybe that's why he chooses to be Mega Man. Maybe he fights because it's a way to distract himself."

She turned to Tempo. "Rock hasn't known me for such a long time, and it's understandably hard for him to accept that I'm, well, his sister. And no matter how much I hope, I doubt that we'll be very close for a long time."

"But you? In the short time he's known you, Rock has built up this connection to you. He really cares about you. That means that you and him have something that is really special."

Roll paused for a moment before continuing. "I think, no matter what happens in the future, Rock will be as close to your side as possible. You're not going to be alone."

Roll stopped before remembering something else. "Plus, you know, I'm here too, if you ever need me."

Tempo looked at her for a moment, with tears on her eyes, before blinking them back and nodding. "Where is Rock, by the way?"

Sudden anxiety rushed over Roll. She began to mutter, "Yeah, um, about that..."

---

I rushed forward and just managed to squeeze into the space between two large bubbles that bounced about the room. A flying shot caused me to perform a small hop to avoid it.

Bubble Man was a little tougher than I expected. He was fully capable of swimming in the water, while I could only jump from the ground. He was surprisingly fast, and seemed to be trying to simply overwhelm me with how much he could do. I had to dodge bouncing bubbles and power shots, and avoid colliding with Bubble Man himself, all while trying not to hit the proximity mines on the ceiling of the room.

I had only managed a few shots, but thankfully he was doing about the same. However, though I had only been hit by one bubble, a strange burning feeling was spreading through my body.

I fired a few more shots, landing some more hits, before Bubble Man hit me with two shots to the chest. I was knocked back slightly, and clutched my chest.

"What...what are you doing to me?" I asked.

He slowed for a moment, and gave me a confident look. "These bubbles are formed with sulfuric acid. Even as you fight me, every bubble that pops is more of the solution mixing with the water."

I shook myself together and walked towards him. "Listen. You seem to like the water a lot. But what you're doing could contaminate the water source for a lot of people. I don't think you want that to happen."

He stared at me, and hung his head slightly. "I do have respect for the water of this world. And I do not wish for humans to come to harm unnecessarily."

Unfortunately, he looked back up at me with a determined glare. "But I am under orders. And they are to see that you are destroyed!"

I was hit by a series of shots and knocked into the pile of crates. As I crashed in, I heard my comm set come online again. I quickly held up a hand to the side of my helmet. "Hello? Dr. Light? Can you hear me?"