chapter 18 - soap operas

"Who's that?" I asked worriedly.

Niall shrugged, trying to appear nonchalant about the person who was knocking so hard that the front door buckled underneath their fist. But his posture was turning defensive, hands curling at his sides. "Oh you know," he replied, "Just a friend of mine."

"Open up, you little shit." the stranger shouted, completely disregarding the fact that it was indeed night, and we were surrounded sleeping people on opposite floors. I stared dubiously at the jumping wood frame.

"That's my nickname." Niall explained hesitantly, "You know how friends are."

"So can I call you little shit then."

Niall sighed in exasperation, placing his hand on the small of my back and beginning to propel me out of the kitchen and down the hall. I struggled to keep up with his pace, almost tripping over my own tangled feet, but Niall caught my elbow and set me upright.

"Please, sweetheart, I need you to stay here." he begged, nudging me into his room and beginning to shut the door. I grabbed the edge before it closed all the way.

"Pants. I need pants." I reminded him, gesturing to my exposed legs. "And Niall, honestly, how stupid do you think I am? Why can't you tell me what's going, because I swear to god, if you get me killed you little sh-"

He kissed me hard, my back pushed against the doorframe and his hands wrapped around my bare thighs. We parted with red lips and mussed hair. My chest was rising and falling fast, almost keeping in time with the incessant knocks outside. He placed one large hand flat on my collarbone for a moment, fingers curling slightly.

"Sorry. Really, I am." he said, and left. I'm not exactly sure what he was apologizing for- maybe it was for the crazy guy outside, maybe it was the fact that although he vowed I was safer with him, he was always getting us into trouble. Maybe it was because I told him a long time ago that I didn't like touching but he did it anyway.

The sound of the lock sliding open drew my attention to the thin slit inbetween the door and the wall that I peered out of. Footsteps lumbered into the flat and paused. From this angle, I could only see the shadow the newcomer cast, long and menacing as it stretched out onto the floor. Niall leaned against wall, making sure to keep the door I was behind in view.

"Good to see you." Niall greeted, his voice displaying the complete opposite. His shoulders were taut, and his eyes flickered over nervously in my direction.

"If it isn't my purple haired friend, Niall." the stranger exclaimed. "Jesus, it smells like smoke in here. And why did it take you so long to open the damn door. What're you up to?"

I couldn't see this persons face, but could only see their thick arm as it clamped down harshly on Niall's shoulder. He calmly flicked it off with an air of annoyance.

"Nothing really."

"Really?" the person persisted. "A boy like you staying at home on a Friday night. Shouldn't you be out drinking or finding some girls?" When Niall didn't answer, the guy continued, "Oh that's right, you already got a little take home buddy, right?"

Niall blinked, shifting his weight from one ratty sneaker to the other. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"I know she's here." the guy said, and suddenly my pink flip flops were being held out. Both Niall and I flinched at the sight of them. It was clear he wasn't here for pleasentires, instead cut straight to the chase. "Found these cute things next to the door. They don't really look like your style."

"They compliment my eyes." Niall replied with a modest shrug.

I backed away from the door, already feeling that icy frost of cold nerves spreading out from my stomach and chilling my skin. This situation was going to quickly become a train wreck. I was trapped, weapon-less and pants-less inside Niall's room, while somebody Niall was clearly afraid of had just burst inside.