Chapter Eighteen

Five years later
Catya and Sebastian dated for a few months.  However she realized he was only with her to sleep with her.  She took things slow with every other guy but was never able to get California out of her head.  She is attending college to be a lawyer like her stepmother. Matthew was secretly in distress that Catya and California didn't seem to be getting back together ever again.  Holly and Matthew were still very happy and Tate and Davina grew to be outspoken children always trying to help others. 
California and Ivy have been dating since their first date.  He is in college striving to become apart of the Department of Social Services. Cameron and Ala were continuing to  build their relationship back up with no signs of splitting anytime soon.  Elijah is a brilliant student and currently the captain of the boys swim team at his high school.

California sat down in a seat in the small cafe. His leg was shaking anxiously awaiting the girl he thought he'd marry one day.
"Cal." Her voice echoed behind him. His breath hitched in the back of his throat as he stood turning and looking at her. She hadn't aged a bit since high school. She smiled, her eyes sparkling with happiness. They wrapped their arms around each other.
"Catya. I've missed you." Cal had dreamed of this for five years but always put it at the back of his mind. He had Ivy and he was happy. But Catya could never be replaced.
"I missed you too." Catya could barely breathe. The only thing she thought about the past five years was California. She should've never let him slip away over something so petty. "What's your life like?"
"Um, I'm actually engaged." Cal smiled. Catya's heart dropped to the pit of her stomach. She thought she might throw up.
"You-you're engaged?" She asked wanting to run away.
"Yeah." Cal waited hesitantly. Maybe if she told him she still loved him, if she would just tell him.
"Cal... I'm so happy for you." She lied through her teeth. It felt like acid coming out of her mouth as she lied so terribly to him. Cal felt himself grow disappointed.
"Thank you. Her name is Ivy. She's a really great girl." Cal urged Catya to just tell him. They could be together again.
"Yeah, I bet she is."
"What about you, anyone special?" California asked. Desperately wishing she would say no.
"Nothing serious."
"Right. How is Stanford?" Catya had gotten into the most prestigious school in California. She always wanted to go, but never believed she would make. Cal always knew she would.
"It's nice. I like it there. What about USC?"
"Southern California is beautiful. I think I'll live down there."
"That's really nice. Right on the beach. Like you've always talked about." Cal nodded.
"Look, this doesn't have to be so awkward. We have a past, but that's all it is. Right?" Please say no.
"Yeah. There's no reason we can't be adults and just have a conversation." Wrong answer.
"Do you want to walk?"
"Yeah."
An hour later Catya and California were still talking but on a bench in a local park. Their conversation was suddenly halted when Cal's phone started ringing.
"Hey." He glanced at Catya.
"Cal, you're late." Ivy spoke through the phone.
"I'm sorry. I met an old friend and I just lost track of time."
"Who did you meet?"
"We can talk about it later. I'm on my way." Catya looked to the ground knowing Cal was about to leave. Another day like this wouldn't be promised. "I should get going I was supposed to meet Ivy half an hour ago."
"Oh, I'm sorry."
"It's not your fault. Look, maybe we could hang out again. You could meet my fiancé. I think you might like her." Catya gently scoffed knowing it would be highly unlikely. She could never like someone who was keeping her from the love of her life.
"Yeah sure."
"I'll be in touch." They both stood and Cal pulled her into him. "Please don't disappear again." She nodded into his chest not sure she'd be able to last another night without him.

Catya walked into her small dorm room. Her roommate was out again, living her life. Catya couldn't let it go, she couldn't forget how terribly she let things happen with Cal. She picked her phone up and dialed her fathers number.
"Hi Catya. How are you?" She felt herself grow emotional. All she wanted was California. But she would never be able to have him again. He was about to commit to someone for the rest of his life. Someone that wasn't her. She sniffled a little. "Baby what's wrong?"
"Can you come over here?"
"Of course I'm in the car now. Just hang in there." He arrived in record time practically banging down the door. When she opened it her father rushed in. "What's wrong? Did someone hurt you?" She shook her head no.
"I saw California today, because I missed him too much to bear anymore. But, h-he's engaged." Matthew wrapped his arms around his daughter. The cycle was continuing. Another Espinosa losing a Dausonn they loved more than words. He couldn't help but blame himself.
"Catya did you tell him how you feel?"
"No, he's happy. I don't want to ruin it."
"Catya you need to tell him. What if he feels the same way?"
"What if he doesn't?"
"That's a risk worth taking sweetheart. Trust me. I made the mistake of letting Ala go and I still regret it to this day. I still wonder what would've happened if I wouldn't have given up on her, on us. Don't live your life like that Catya, it's miserable. You deserve to know."
"What about the other girl. That's not fair to her."
"It kind of is though Catya. She deserves to know if her fiancé is really in love with her. She doesn't deserve a husband who isn't one hundred percent invested."
"I broke up with him Dad. I ended it for a stupid reason and I refused to talk to him. It was my fault. I should have to live with that."
"But you don't have to live with it Cat. Your mother and I dated when we were teenagers and we broke up. But she found me later and she admitted her feelings for me, and I realized I loved her still too. We were together and very happy. It can work out."
"But what about Ala."
"She was always there in the back of my mind. But your mother and I. We were better together. It was easier with your mother, it was simple. With Ala it was complicated. I don't know who would've made me happier but it's possible to be happy with someone else. You have to tell California you still love. You need the closure Catya."
"You're right. I should just do it. If it doesn't work out I don't ever have to see him again."