Chapter Thirteen

Matthew looked at his son in confusion. 
"What?"  He asked.
"The overdose victim.  That was mom."  Ryland looked at his father hoping he could explain it all.  Matthew rushed to the counter, Ryland followed quickly behind. 
"Hi, excuse me."  He gathered the attention of the tired looking receptionist.
"Yes, can I help you with something?" She'd obviously had to deal with many a people that day and didn't consider to two boys standing there to be any different.
"What do you know about the woman who was just rushed through here?"
"I know what they yelled out to me to document. It was an overdose. She is a white female, she was found with a syringe stuck her arm and she's probably in her thirties."  The lady answered.
"You don't know her name?"  Ryland furrowed his eyebrows in sadness and confusion.
"Sweetie did you hear them call out her name?"   Ryland shook his head.
"Her name is Natasha Espinosa.  And she's my mom."  The lady looked up as her eyes widened.
"Are you one hundred and ten percent on that?"  She questioned.
"No."  Ryland's head hung low.  Matthew placed his hand on his sons shoulder in solidarity. 
"I'll let you know if anything comes up honey."  She told the boy feeling bad that his mother may be being hospitalized.  Ryland sat silently letting the sadness of unknowing consume him. 
"Hey Ry, why so sad?"  Catya crouched down in front of her brother.
"I think my mom was just brought in here."
"Overdose?"  Ryland nodded at his sisters statement.  "I'm sorry buddy."
"What if she's not okay?"
"What if she is?"
<>
"Mr. And Mrs. Dallas?"  Ala and Cameron stood up quickly.
"Elijah is okay."  Ala and Cameron nodded already knowing this information.  "We got the water out of his lugs and his recovery should be quick and easy."  The doctor told them.
"Thank you.  When can we see him?"  Cameron asked.
"Right now, only for a little bit because he needs to rest.  If one of you would like to stay the night with him we can get some extra blankets."
"I will."  Ala spoke up.
"Okay.  I'll let the nurses know.  Mary here will lead you to his room."  The nurse at the reception desk stood up with a smile.  She opened the door and Ala and Cameron followed Mary to a room. 
"Here we are, if you need anything just holler."  She walked away.  Cameron tangled his hand into Ala's but she quickly pulled hers away making him incredibly dismal.  Ala walked in the room and ran to Elijah when she saw he was awake.  She delivered an immediate hug to her son and cried. 
"I'm so sorry baby.  It's all our fault.  I promise you it will be different now.  I'm sorry."  She cried.
"Momma, it's okay."
"It's not Eli.  I could've lost you.  Why couldn't you have just talked to us about what you were feeling."
"Because, talking is what's hurting you and Dad.  I was tired of hearing you fight.  The water is silent, it was the first time in years it was silent."  His words made Ala cry harder.
"I'm sorry."  California and Catya walked in the door and California rushed to his brother.  Ala moved and Cameron took this time to see his son also. 
"Hey E."  Cal smiled down at the brother he swore to cherish for the rest of their lives.
"Hi big brother."  Elijah smiled back cherishing the way his brother cared.
"This is Catya, my girlfriend."  California introduced Catya to his brother.
"Hi Elijah.  I've heard so much about you."
"Really?"  He asked.
"Yeah, I'm really glad your okay.  The way California talked about you, made you seem like an amazing person."  Elijah looked up at his brother and Catya feeling so much hope for his future.  Feeling like his brother really actually loved him, something he'd never felt before. 
"I'm glad you're okay too buddy.  I had so many good comebacks.  I'm glad I'll still have the chance to use them."  Eli knew this was his brother way of saying he loved him and accepted it.
"How you feeling?"  Cameron asked him.
"I feel a little tired but I'm good."  He told his father.
"I don't know what I would do without you.  I love you Little Bear." Cameron spoke using the nickname he gave Elijah when he was smaller.
"I love you too Dad."  Elijah looked around him and understood how much his brother and parents loved him.  He also understood his parents weren't the same.  Something was going to change, and it was because he jumped, and silence filled his head.  Silence has changed everything.
<>
Matthew sat with a worried Ryland.  He wasn't sure how to comfort his son.  Should he pretend to care that the woman who has made his life hell for years, may be in critical condition?  Or should he just hug his son and not say a word?  Catya came out of the door and motioned for her father to come to her.  Matthew told his son he'd be back and walked to his eldest daughter. 
"What's going on with Natasha?"  She asked.
"I have no idea.  Ryland is so shaken up and I have no idea what I'm supposed to say to him.  I don't even care honestly."  Matthew ran his fingers through his hair.
"Dad.  That's a little insensitive." 
"What, you were just saying how much you hate her."
"Yeah, but I don't hate my brother.  He doesn't understand how she was around you, and me.  He was too young, so he doesn't understand that his mother may not be what he thought she was."
"I know Catya, it's just hard to feel remorseful when she's put me through hell and back just to be a good dad.  I mean all the stuff she did to me, I could handle.  But you, you're my baby girl.  You're my everything and she hurt you.  That can't be forgiven, and I can't feel sorry for someone who would hurt you."  Catya nodded.
"Don't get me wrong I hate her.  But I know what he's feeling.  It's the same thing I felt when mom was sick.  We lost her.  He could lose his mother.  And losing your mother, that pain never goes away.  I don't want my brother to have to deal with that."
"You're right.  I'm sorry, I didn't think of it that way.  I wish she was here, she'd know exactly what to do."
"I want her back."  Catya grew saddened thinking about her mother.  "I wish I could remember more of her.  All I can remember is a Christmas or two and some other memories.  I remember that she called me Kit Cat and she smelled like that one Dolce & Gabana perfume you got her, for her birthday."  Catya's eyes filled with tears.
"You're so much like her Catya.  You say and do things that are so closely related to things your mother did or would've done.  I look at you sometimes and I see so much of her.  It makes me angry that I've put you through the things I did because I know she would never do that to you."
"You're the only Dad I would ever want, you've made mistakes, but I have too.  I love you."  She hugged her father tightly.
"I love you too Catya.  You mean the world to me."  He spoke truthfully.
"Excuse me sir.  You were with Natasha Espinosa, am I correct?"  Matthew was about to object but then looked at his sad son and decided against it.
"Yeah."  He spoke. 
"She's awake, and very lucky might I add. This whole situation could've gone down hill very fast, but it didn't. So if you'd like to see her for a couple of minutes I can lead you to her room." Matthew nodded and Catya retrieved Ryland. In a hurry, the eldest son sped quickly to where the receptionist was walking and stayed right on her trail. Catya took her fathers hand feeling anxious about seeing Natasha. They took their time and wanted to just turn around.
"Ryland sweetie what are you doing here?" Matthew heard the voice of Natasha and grew bitter. They turned a corner and walked into the room. Natasha smirked. She looked like a horrible mess. "Matthew!" She exclaimed, coughing slightly. "Hi Cat." Catya smiled a very non genuine smile.  Only Catya's mother and father could call her Cat. "Well would you looked at this. The family is back together."
"Tasha nothing is back together, in fact I think you just ripped yourself away even more after this." Matthew muttered.
"Mom what happened?  Are you okay?"  Ryland exclaimed grabbing hold of his mothers shaky hand.
"Oh I'm fine Ry don't worry."  Natasha was a completely different person to Ryland and it took Matthew quite a while to comprehend this side of her.
"What happened?"  He asked again, eager to know.
"Yeah Tasha what happened?"  Matthew smirked this time.
"I did some not so good things and I'm just happy I'm okay and you're here."  Natasha smiled at her son after quickly sending a glare to her ex-husband.
"Me too."
"You should go Ryland.  You have school tomorrow and it's late.  I hope I can see you soon."  Ryland nodded and bid his goodbye to his mother before exiting the room with his sister by his side.
"Natasha, Natasha, Natasha.  What a beautiful tragedy.  By that, I mean beautiful for me.  Tragedy for you."  Matthew chuckled.
"What are you talking about dickhead?"
"I'm saying the lawyers will love this."
"'Matthew.  I know im usually a huge bitch to you but please.  I'm begging you, please don't take me son away from me?"
"Natasha he's not your son.  If you spent more than two weekends a month with him we could negotiate that.  But you don't."
"I wanna be better."
"Well you're sure as hell proving it by overdosing your way into the hospital."
"I'll get my son Matthew, I dont care what I have to do." She challenged him, he grew extremely bitter.
"Good luck with that Natasha." He walked out slamming the door. Matthew tried to contain his anger and walked back into the lobby.
"Is Mom okay?" Ryland rushed to his father.
"She's fine on the outside but she's really screwed up inside." He snapped.
"What does that mean?" Catya looked to her father scared as to what would come next.
"That means she's freaking insane!" Matthew yelled. Ryland backed away quickly, he looked at his father in fright. Catya pulled Matthew away around the corner.
"Dad you can't explode on him like that." She scolded.
"I know Cat. I know." Matthew lied his head back on the wall trying to relax himself. "She drives me absolutely insane." He clenched his teeth together.
"That doesn't give you an excuse to yell at Ryland. He doesn't understand how she is and he doesn't need to. If he can see his mother as a wonderful human than that's amazing and we don't need to convince him otherwise." Matthew pulled his daughter into his chest and gave her a kiss on the forehead.
"You're so mature Catya. I dont know what I would without you. I'm sorry you have to deal with me and all of this."
"Don't be Dad. Go apologize to Ryland." Matthew nodded and found his son.
"Hey Ry." Ryland ignored his father sitting motionless in his chair. "I'm sorry." Matthew apologized.
"I wanna live with Mom." Ryland spat out.
"What?" Matthew was dumbfounded.
"I want to live with my mother." Ryland forced.
"Ryland I know you're mad at me. Let's just go home and you and I can just sleep all of this off. It's late and I'm sure you're very tired, I know I'm tired." Matthew suggested as feelings of worry clouded his judgement.
"You're right, I am tired. I'm tired of trusting you. I'm tired of you trying to make Mom disappear from my life and replace her with Holly. Holly isn't my mom and she never will be. I'm tired of you trying to make me hate Mom. I'm tired of never seeing her. I want to see my mother. I don't want to see you." He spat out. Catya overhead the conversation and rushed over quickly.
"Ryland you don't know what you're saying. Let's just go home." She pulled her brother up but he fought her off and sat down.
"Ryland please we can talk about it more in the morning let's just go get some sleep."
"Im staying here with my mom." He protested.
"No you're not." Matthew stood up.
"Yes, I am."
"Ryland Rafael Espinosa if you don't get up right now-."
"Then what. What are you going to do? I'm living with Mom from now on. You have no authority over me."
"Fine if you don't want to be my son anymore than don't. Good luck by yourself because if you think your mother will take care of you than you're badly mistaken." Matthew walked away. Ryland went into his mothers room. Catya stormed toward he father.
"What the hell are you doing?" She yelled at her father.
"Catya he's going to spend four nights with her and call me begging to come back." Catya shook her head in disappointment. Matthew found Ala and filled her in on what had happened.
"Could you just make sure he's okay?" Matthew asked knowing Ala would stay here with Elijah tonight.
"Of course. I'll check on him in the morning." Ala was understanding and agreed to keep an eye on Ryland while he was with his mother at the hospital. Catya and Matthew got home and Catya stormed to her room. Holly noticed Matthews expression.
"What happened? Where's Ryland?" Holly asked. Matthew opened the refrigerator and took out a beer popping off the top and taking a long swig.
"Natasha got rushed in for an overdose while we were there. Ryland hates me and decided he's living with his mother. So Catya is pissed off that I left him at the hospital with her." Matthew explained.
"Why would leave him there with her?" Holly didn't agree with Matthews decision.
"Ala is there with Elijah, she promised she would check on him. I wouldn't leave him there if it was just Natasha."
"I dont care who is there you shouldn't have left him with her."
"The only way he was leaving is kicking and screaming and I don't have the energy to do that." Matthew finished his beer and went to open the refrigerator for another but Holly quickly closed the door before he could open it very far. "Holly please don't do this to me."
"Just because you're having some child issues doesn't mean you need to go running back to alcohol." She crossed her arms.
"Hol I've had a long day please move."
"No."
"Fine." Matthew grabbed the car keys and left heading towards a bar. Holly grew so frustrated knowing exactly where he was going. She forced open the refrigerator and angrily took out every ounce of alcohol. Tears fell from her eyes as she grabbed a trash can and swept all of the liquor into the bag. She wiped her tears from her eyes and threw the bag in the trash can out side. When she got back inside Catya stood there with tears in her eyes.
"He left didn't he?" Holly nodded and Catya let her tears fall. They shared a hug and Holly promised everything would be okay.