"Right you are, Sherman.  No need to rush into this.  We've got to be cautious.  Jesse,"  he addressed his young deputy, who stood at attention like an army soldier when called upon. "Go round up Joe and Hershel.  Tell 'em we've got a situation and we need 'em here lickity split."

"Yes, sir."   Young deputy Jesse Horton bolted out the door, and ran towards his horse.

"With Shep here as my witness, I  hereby declare you deputized, Sherman,"  Amos announced proudly.  "Well, Shep, if you're right and we really got Curry and Heyes, I guess you'll be a rich man,"  Amos told the blacksmith.

"I'm right, Sheriff.   Some faces you never forget."   Shep couldn't get out of that office fast enough.  After being in the presence of that man for a few minutes he almost felt sorry for Curry and Heyes.   Almost.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Where's the fire, Jesse?"    Mr. Handy called out as he swept off the boardwalk in front of his mercantile.

"I gotta round up Joe and Hershel.  Kid Curry and Hannibal Heyes is in the saloon.  Shep recognized them from the orphan's home.  He said they beat the tar out him once.  And we're a fixin' to go in and take 'em into custody."  And with a kick of his heels he was off to complete his mission.  

The news spread like a prairie fire and within ten minutes the entire town had heard the news and was gathering in the streets to witness the capture and arrest of two of the west's most notorious outlaws.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Heyes, your silvery tongue has done it again.  I can't believe you got the jeweler to throw in that silver chain for free."

Heyes couldn't keep the self satisfied smile from his face.  "It was pretty genius at that.  I figured Evie could use the chain to keep her mama's ring on.  Since she's gonna be wearing this one."   The partners admired the small silver band with the single sparkling diamond in the center as it lay nestled in the little cushioned box.

"She's gonna love it, Heyes,"  Kid said to this partner as they headed back up the street.  "Hey, Heyes, look what's going on over at the saloon. A crowd's gathered.   I told you we shouldn't have been in there.  There's some kind of trouble."

Both ex-outlaws watched with furrowed brows as more and more towns folk formed a large congregation around the Holy Moses saloon.  

"Hey, neighbor!"  Kid called out to an elderly man who was limping hastily towards the crowd.  "What's the commotion?"

"You ain't heared?  Why, Kid Curry and Hannibal Heyes is in the saloon.  Shep, the blacksmith says he spotted 'em right off.  Says he was in the orphan's home with 'em and woulda knowed 'em anywhere.   Says they just about beat him to death once.  So there's no doubt that's who they are.  'Course they didn't recognize him cause of them scars.  The sheriff and that Texas Ranger fella are goin' in to arrest 'em.  Ever body's gatherin' to get a look at them ornery no account cusses."

The partners each  gave a nervous half laugh.  "Oh, say, who is the Texas ranger fella you're talking about?"  Heyes asked.

"McMaster.  Sherman W. McMaster.  Sheriff Crenshaw is an old friend of his daddy's and he just stopped by to pay respects.  Good thang too.  Well, don't just stand there, let's get goin' so's we can get a good view.  I ain't seen this many people gathered since they had nickel night at the whore house."    The old timer limped off with an excited gleam in his eyes.

Blue eyes met brown for the briefest of seconds before the two ex-outlaws  ducked into the nearest alley and ran through the back streets of Cold Springs towards the blacksmith's shop where their horses were tied.   They were lucky the entire town was in the middle of Main Street.  They didn't run into a single person as they made their way towards the rear of Shep's shop.