Chapter 18

Kid woke up shortly after dawn and Heyes was gone.   Gone on his horse.  He had played right into his hands. Had  he known  Heyes was planning to slip out on his own to hunt down that killer, he never would have taken his eyes off him.  It wasn’t like Heyes to be this reckless or this stupid.  But then again it wasn’t like him to fall in love either.  And that’s just what had happened.  Heyes wasn’t thinking straight because he was too riled up over Evie being in trouble.  And the reason he was so riled up, was because he was punch drunk with love.  Shoot, he was riled up himself and he wasn't in love with the girl.  He could only imagine the torment Heyes was enduring.  How did this happen?  He didn't think Heyes even believed in falling in love.  Not since they'd become wanted men.  He knew Heyes enjoyed a woman's company as much, or maybe more than the next man.  But love?  Dang it!   He never had gotten around to having that serious talk with Heyes.  Oh, well, he doubted if it would have done any good anyway.  Heyes was already head over heels when he’d found him and Evie  three days ago.  Although he didn't think Heyes even realized it.

Kid made quick work of packing the gear and saddling the mule.  He didn’t have any time to lose.  He had to get to Heyes as soon as possible.  He knew what he was planning.   He wanted to get there alone, so he could take a little revenge on the man who'd dared to touch the woman he loved.  And he didn't want his partner there to stop him or talk him down.  He wanted to kill the man.  Kid understood.  He’d wanted to kill men before, too.  It was hard enough to live with another man's blood on your hands when the other man was shooting back. That old saying, "Never bring a knife to a gun fight" came into his mind.  Because that's just what was going to happen.  That murderer had only been carrying a knife when he'd taken Evie.  He'd obviously thrown Heyes' revolver and Evie's rifle in the river, because they couldn't find either one.  And Heyes was headed right for him and he had a big red target in the middle of  his chest and only a knife to defend himself.   If Heyes accomplished what he was setting out to do, Kid was afraid he'd never be able to live with the regret.  Plus he didn't know how it might affect their amnesty.  He had to catch up to him and fast.  He looked Jenny in her bulging brown eyes.  "I may not have a way with horses or mules, but I do have a way with the ladies. And since you're a lady, I got one favor to ask.  Will you get the lead out of your butt and move! We've got some catchin'  up to do."   She brayed loudly as he climbed onto her saddled back.  "I hope that was you agreein' with me.  Let's go puddin' foot."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kid had been right.  They had stopped after darkness fell.  Heyes squatted now by the unmistakable outline of two people who had lain side by side.  He touched the smaller of the two indentions on the mossy ground.  She had lain here just a few hours ago.  He closed his eyes as he recalled the nights he'd held her close while she'd slept.  He remembered the smell of her hair, the softness of her skin, the sound of her breathing.  He felt like his heart was caught in a vice.  Then he  looked at the larger indention, only  a scant foot away from hers.   And he recalled how hard it had been to keep from touching her, how hard he had fought with himself to resist the temptation her beauty and spirit had presented.  And how he'd finally given in to that temptation that night in the cave.  How it had felt to hold her close and kiss her.   This lech wouldn't even try to fight the temptation.  Unless the price of a virgin was more tempting,  Evie was probably in big trouble.  The thought of this gutless barbarian laying one filthy finger on her made his blood boil.  He scooped up a handful of the earth from the spot where she had been lying and balled it into his fisted hand then slung it into the trunk of the nearest tree with a splat.  Before climbing back in the saddle, he reached into the saddlebag and removed Evie's memory bag. He'd placed it inside this morning before he'd rode out.  He looked at her angelic face in the tintype photograph, then took the soft lock of her baby hair and ran it gently across his fingers.   Don't be afraid, sweetheart.  I'm coming.  And when I get there, he'll never hurt you or anybody else again.