Chapter 5

V

On the bridge of the William Adama, Lee was keeping abreast of the situation. The prisoner had been groggy for the last twenty-four hours as the effects of the tranquilizer began to wear off. The Doctor thought he'd be good to interrogate by the end of the day.

Lee was getting ready to step away from CIC for a few minutes when General Grayson's voice boomed over the speakers. "Adama Actual, Grayson."

"Grayson, Actual, SitRep General?"

"Sir, our Special Ops team to the north has found the Raptor." He could hear the grimness in his General's voice.

"Any sign of our people?" The bridge crew held their breaths.

"Affirmative, sir, two KIA, one unaccounted for." Lee felt his stomach knot up. "Confirm the two KIA as Lieutenant Londhal and Lieutenant Marisio." Everyone in CIC instantly deflated with the news and physically slumped in their seats.

"I copy, General, two KIA, one MIA", he would never get used to losing his people, and he thanked the gods for that. "Any sign of the Captain?"

"Negative sir, but it's a good bet he may be on the run. We didn't find any Dog Tags on the two KIA. Nick probably grabbed them before high-tailing it."

"Copy, Kendrick, will vector Raptors to pick up our people, and to secure any items off the dead bird, Adama out."

He looked over at Brevin Cross and didn't have to say a word to his XO. Cross left, rounded up two Marines so they could inform the families of the two dead pilots who had, like the Bond's, come aboard the Flagship. He didn't want to do this, but he would do his duty out of respect for his fallen comrades.

_______________________________________________

Starbuck, Blondie, and Sunshine had been on patrol and heard the call about the KIA and one MIA. She was one of the closer Raptors in the area and vectored her bird to the crash site. She knew Nick was MIA but she dreaded the moment nonetheless.

She landed and headed to Captain Dalbott, who was sitting on a tree trunk about twenty yards East of the crash site.

Kara saluted him. "Sir, Captain Thrace-Bond, reporting as ordered."

Dalbott smiled at her despite the situation. "Has anyone ever gone from Admiral to Captain that fast, uh, Captain?" He was trying to relax Starbuck, who was, like all of them none too happy with the situation.

"Could be, sir", she gave him a small smile. "You guys have any clue what you think happened to Nick?"

Dalbott shook his head. "None really Admiral", he slipped back to her real rank. "We found some bloodstains about fifteen yards South of the Raptor. There's no way the KIA were out there-you'll see why when we grab their bodies, so Nick was at least wounded."

Kara then turned towards the unpleasant task at hand. "I've got some body bags with us. I'm going to transport their remains back to the Adama, sir."

"Thank you Starbuck", he said, honoring his colleague. "It isn't pretty, but our people should be taken care of."

"They will be, Captain", she said with more grimness in her voice.

Sunshine and Blondie proceeded out with the body bags. Kara had taken a look at the remains of the two Officers. Like Dalbott she had almost vomited but kept it together. She knew for certain Nick wasn't in there, but it didn't make her feel any better.

Dalbott's men put the remains in the body bags, and they came out of the hatch.

When they were visible, Kara came to attention and commanded those present. "Ten-Hut, render honors to Lieutenant Rick Londhal, and Lieutenant Annabel Marisio". Everyone came to rigid attention, saluting their fallen comrades. As the bodies were stored in the cargo hold of the Raptor Kara saluted Captain Dalbott and started walking towards her bird. She stopped suddenly and looked around in all directions, fear etched on her face.