June

Dimitri sat on a log with a plate of food in his lap, watching the celebration of Midsummer go on around him. A bonfire roared in front of him and the heat made sweat pour down his back in rivulets that the weak breeze was no match for.

Around him, ceaseless laughter and music filled the warm air as people roamed around the fire. Children chased each other over the logs and the plates that littered the grass, and their loud shrieks could be heard over folk music people were dancing to. In the distance, fairy lights were strung over the trees in the front of the forest, and their lights twinkled sweetly through the dark that hours before midnight brought.

The fairy lights, though their light was not the strongest, shined enough light to expose couples that were attempting to hide against the trunks of the tall trees. Dimitri smirked as he watched a woman he assumed to be one of their mothers walk quickly towards them, almost tripping over her skirts, with her finger already out to give them a talk.

"Dimitri!"

He paused with a kebab halfway to his mouth and turned to see his own mother calling him. Her long skirts swiftly swept through the grass as she walked quickly towards him with an urgency that made him wonder what was wrong.

"Yes, Mama?" He said before putting the meat into his mouth. He let out a quiet groan of appreciation when the salty and sweet flavor of the meat and tomatoes filled his mouth. The food was easily the best part of the Midsummer Night celebration his family hosted every year for his town and the only part he cared about.

"When was the last time you saw your sister?" His mother asked with her hands on her hips as she caught her breath. He remembered earlier when her hair was arranged in some hairstyle he thought was supposed to be fancy, but now it was in disarray around her face. The fire outlined the worry lines that were etched in her face and he put his kebab down. Something was wrong.

"Uh," Dimitri paused to think. Kassanda was five foot four of pure annoying that he tried his hardest to avoid. But even though he always to escape her, she would usually find him and find someway to irritate him.

He began to realize that he hadn't seen her since right before the bonfire started, when the sun was still in the sky and there was less than a dozen people on the farm. And that was hours ago.She could've been anywhere now.

Or with anyone.

Dimitri stood up, taking his kebab with him, and put a brave smile on for his mother, despite the worry that was growing in him too. His sister was only 11 years old, and could make the dumbest decisions when it came to her being safe. He hoped that she hadn't just made her final one.

"I haven't seen her since the party started," Dimitri began, but paused when he saw a look of despair take over his mother's face. "But she can't be that far. I'll go get her." Dimitri said, giving his mother another reassuring smile.

She nodded and ran her hands over her clothes to calm down. "Alright. Try to arrive before midnight."

"Yes, Mama." Dimitri nodded at her before leaving. He weaved in between the groups of people surrounding the bonfire, keeping his eyes open for Kassy. He looked into the face of every child he saw running around, but didn't see her long brown hair or hear the high pitch of her voice anywhere.

Maybe she's in the house. Dimitri thought. The celebration was taking place in the back of the farmhouse, which had a clearing that was used for parties and meetings. His family owned a large piece of land, most of which went unused. Dense forests surrounded their home everywhere except the front, where roads from their home led to the town that was not too far away.

The music and loud conversation began to fade as Dimitri walked further from people and near the forests.

The only way to get to the house and out of the party was to walk along the curve of the forest which he now followed.