Please Forgive Us

(this is exactly 3000 words of fluff. we figured you all deserved it -becca)

Jeremy was still angry from earlier as he laid in his room, feeling exhausted. Thoughts rushed through his head, and he felt his face heat up in embarrassment. I can't believe I said those things... I even broke down in front of Rich and Jake... He hugged a pillow to his chest, feeling his heart beginning to ache as the worst of the anger subsided, replaced only with regret and longing.

"Jeremy? Are you up there?" Jeremy heard his father call up to him from downstairs.

"No," Jeremy mumbled. He knew his father wouldn't hear him, but he didn't have the strength to yell back to him. He heard footsteps coming up the stairs and groaned, not wanting to talk to anyone. A knock sounded on his door, and he made a muffled noise into his pillow tiredly.

"Jeremy? Are you okay?" Mr. Heere asked, entering slowly. Another small noise. "Okay, I'll take that as a no. Well, you have guests waiting downstairs, when you're ready."

Jeremy sat up when his father left, confused as to who he had been referring to. He couldn't think of anyone who would be visiting him right now. Rich and Jake had gone home, and he had yelled at Michael and Christine. He sighed and swung his legs over the side of the bed and stood up, stretching. He walked down the stairs, still unaware of what to expect; however, when he saw Christine and Michael standing in wait, he wished he had stayed in his room. When it was evident that he had stopped moving forward, Michael called out to him before he could turn around.

"Jere, wait, I need to- we both need to talk to you." Jeremy took a deep breath and stood in front of them.

"Okay?" Jeremy said, listening expectantly.

"We were talking, and... we both decided to forgive each other," Christine said, a sadly hopeful smile on her face.

Jeremy shook his head, "You can't really expect me to believe that. That you went from screaming such awful things at each other in a park to being friends that quickly?"

Christine's smile faded, but she let Michael take over, unsure of how to respond.

"Jeremy, please. We're telling the truth. I, um, I went to apologize, and we talked everything over. We realized that your friendship is important to us. We would rather both have you as a friend over 'competing' for you."

Jeremy's face flushed a dull red as Christine nodded, "And I'm sorry for all the interrupting. I was selfish. I didn't want to lose you, and I didn't take your feelings into consideration. But, I've thought it through, and I'd rather be your friend than keep you in a relationship you're unhappy in."

"Me too," Michael began, "I understand if you don't want to be with me after all of this. All I want is for you to be happy."

Jeremy felt his chest tighten. "I- I'm sorry too," he started. "I didn't mean to lash out like that, and... in truth, it hurt... not to be able to give you an answer."

Michael felt a small spark of hope as a slight heat reached up to his ears. "Y-You mean?"

"Not yet," Jeremy said. Michael looked down. "Christine, I need to say something to you that's been overdue... for a while now. I've realized that I- I think we would be better as friends. After the Squip, after I finally had choices again, it's like I see everything- everyone differently. And because of that, I just don't feel the same way about you as I used to. I'm sorry."

When he finished, Christine nodded, her eyes falling. "Yeah... I sorta figured..." she admitted. "Although, now that I've calmed down, looking at you two seems... right." Michael and Jeremy both blushed. "I'll admit defeat here," she said, snickering at her own joke.