Pietro was about to protest when Alex's mother popped her head out of the broken front door and called, "Corri a prendere dell'acqua e portala qui."

"Si, ma'." Responded Alex, shakily standing up and walking away.

Looking between them, Pietro could now see a resemblance. It was jarring how similar they were, from the slight upturn of their lips to the exact same parting in their hair. Even their eyes were the same shade of brown, a colour nearly black in the shadows of the house. But while Alex was softer, made of gentle curves like her weak jawline, her mother was strong and shapely, so perfect it was almost unnerving.

"Pietro, can you help me?"

"Rimani, Pietro."

"Ma', ho bisogno d'aiuto."

"Arrivo tra un minuto, Ena." Alex nodded, looking disappointed and walked into the house.

Pietro watched warily as Alex's mother moved closer. It was not quite a standoff between them, but Pietro was sure that the surly expression Alex's mother wore was a reflection of his own. "Ciao, signora." He greeted after a moment, "Posso chiamarti Maria?"

"I don't know what she said to get you to come here but—"

"She didn't say anything." The clear English she had spoken in confused Pietro for a moment; he'd tried to hide it but Maria seemed to read people, as well as her daughter did, "We came here by accident."

The glare from Alex's mother subsided into curiosity, examining Pietro intently as she spoke, "Or did you? Ena grew up a little way away from here, it's no accident you came back here. That's what she does, she sets up a home and deceives people into caring for her just to break their hearts when she goes. Ena left me, she left those Avengers...who do you think she'll leave next?"

"It's not like that. Alessandra didn't have a choice, her family were taken away. And she wouldn't leave me."

"Are you sure about that? How long have you known her?" Pietro could give no response, "That's right."

It wasn't true, Pietro knew that and yet there was a fear now, a doubt of what had really happened. He rubbed his forehead as though it would help him sort out the lies from the truths,

"What is it with you Esposito's and your mind tricks."

"I wouldn't lie to you. I want to help you."

There was an internal battle raging inside Pietro's mind. He, for the most part, wanted to deny any suggestion that Alex would do something like that to him. He meant nothing to her, their relationship was only because they didn't have a choice, so she would gain nothing by manipulating him as her mother claimed she would.

Just like the first time he'd met Alex, however, part of him needed to be sure that what was said, wasn't true. If Alex left him, whether here or in the middle of nowhere, Pietro had no idea what to do. He could travel as far as it took to find civilisation but by then, by the time he was able to get to her, Wanda may be hurt.

Pietro entered the house again, eyes adjusting to the darkness faster than the last time,

"Alessandra," Alex started, dropping the knife she was holding. As it fell, it disappeared and reappeared tucked into the waistband of her sweatpants. "Are you ready to go?"

"No." Alex looked confused, "Why would I leave? We're here for a reason."

"You brought us here on purpose?"

"No." Even as she said it, Alex sounded uncertain. She tried again, "No, I wouldn't."

"If you wouldn't, then we can go. There's no reason to stay here."

"Pietro," Alex said, pleadingly, fully turning to face him, "she's my mother."

"Stark is more of a mother to you than her. She abused you."

"My mother did what she had to do."

"She chained you to a wall and crushed your hands."

"Isn't that what you did to me?" Alex retorted and Pietro bit his lip to stop himself from saying something he knew he'd regret.

"Ultron did that. I allowed him too, but you cannot blame me for his actions. I've apologised too, risked Wanda's life for yours. What more do you want from me?"

"I don't want anything from you. I've forgiven you and now I want to give the same chance to my mother. Pietro, I thought you would be able to understand."

"You're wrong. This whole thing is wrong; Alex, please—"

"Five minutes." It was a demand until Alex backtracked, softening her voice, "That's all I ask of you. Five more minutes just so I can talk to her."

"She'll just leave you again."

"She never left me."

"Right." Pietro shrugged and turned away, and Alex teleported to just in front of him, blocking his way out,

"Where are you going?"

"If you want to stay here and be hurt again, that's fine by me. I'm going to get my sister." He pushed passed her, still taking care to not touch her injured left arm. Alex followed after him,

"Pietro—"

"Ena." Her mother's hand was a gentle surprise on Alex's arm; an attempted motherly touch that held no real affection behind the action and yet left Alex feeling weak. Pietro had ran off, nowhere to be seen and yet Alex couldn't help but call out again,

"Pietro?"

Her mother tugged on her arm, pulling her back into the house. "It's alright. Don't worry about him, he's just a little distraction."

"Pietro's not a distraction. He's helping me find my family."

"I am your family."