Chapter 5: Separation is Solution

Mulai dari awal

Speak now. I will need you alone now, my Champion. Send the others away, and leave only Astarte with you. I have a special task for you.

How should I hope to persuade them, milord? Althalos asked.

However you can. I will not hold your hand on every situation you are bound to get stuck in.

He dipped his head lightly, acknowledging Merec's words.

"If I might inquire,' Althalos said. "What is our plan exactly to free Ayleth Hadriansdotter?"

By now, everyone was already used to Althalos's apathetic behavior, but still, they can not help but feel unnerved at the complete lack of emotion he exhibited, which was shown when Fendrel looked just like that, unsettled by Althalos. And whatever sliver remained within him was all of blood lust and enmity.

"What do you plan on doing, Champion of Merec?" Miasmador interjected, calling Althalos that for the first time. "I'd guess since you share a bond with that almighty lord of yours, you'd know everything!"

The sarcasm dripped from every single letter, and Althalos felt the growing urge to shut the dragon up. A scowl painted itself on his face as he reached for Lich Blade, but a laugh resonating throughout his consciousness stemmed his hand.

Don't waste your time carving that lizard. Just tell them what I told you, mortal.

Another small dip of his head, and Althalos turned his sole attention back to all of them, and he saw Justin was now hearing in on their conversation, and Alianor lay asleep, probably minutes ago already. Fendrel and the others were awaiting his word, and he need only say his command, and not let it seem like it was a suicidal mission, and they would follow it.

Just tell it mortal, I will aid you.

Merec said more words, but he hadn't had time to hear it because he already relayed everything.

Such subservience. Merec's comment echoed through his brain, but he paid no heed to it at the moment.

Tell them that I have left something that is needed to be found in your previous home, your cave, and that you need to retrieve it to benefit all of you.

Words flew in and out of his mind, and it was becoming puzzling even for the Shadow Champion to keep track of whatever words the lord of shadowy death was saying.

"Merec has told me that he has left me an item in our previous home, the cave, and I need to retrieve it."

"For a champion such as you, I can't believe he's giving you too many of these so-called gifts," Katelyn said, snorting, which went unnoticed by the majority of the group except for the golden-eyed dragon, who narrowed his eyes at that.

"That is true," Miasmador commented, but shook his head, believing that it was all part of Merec's big unknown plan, and the unknown part was what is making him feel on edge.

Althalos continued, following every word that Merec told him like a common lapdog. "I am to search for it, and Miasmador and Astarte will go with me, and the others will go with you to search for Ayleth. If need be, I will also take Alianor with me, for she is but a child, and the dangers of the orcs are too much for a mere child such as her to handle."

Fendrel nodded, seemingly agreeing with the idea, but he looked at Althalos again, then turned to Katelyn and the others. "Is that plan satisfactory enough?"

"Why do we need to be separated, Champion of Merec?" Katelyn asked, not caring whether she was one of them or not.

"It will take less time, and we can kill two birds with one stone."