Companions

No one on the team had ever seen their captain and vice-captain like this.

They had seen them acting in many ways before. They had seen them arguing, yelling insults at each other across the field, bickering over the tiniest things and threatening to punch each other in the face. They had seen them bonding on and off the pitch, aggressively caring about and supporting each other, pulling each other out of slumps and defending each other with their lives. They had seen them after arguments, furiously avoiding each other and giving each other the cold shoulder because they were both too proud to apologize. They thought they had seen it all.

But this was new.

They hadn't arrived together today. Kimishita had been way early, and Ooshiba had just barely made it on time, sprinting into the locker room at the very last second. Neither of them had spoken a word to the other. They hadn't exchanged a single glance. Kimishita hadn't passed to Ooshiba a single time during practice, and Ooshiba hadn't demanded any passes. It was almost like a normal argument hanging between them, unresolved, if it hadn't been for the strange tension between them.

They kept avoiding eye contact, but every time one of them wasn't looking the other glanced at him, gazing at him from a distance as if wishing for him to turn around, quickly looking down when he did. They would stand strangely close to each other, so close one of them would only have to extend his fingers to touch the other's hand, fiercely staring at the ground. Every time one of them looked at the other there was sadness in his eyes, and sometimes they would take a deep breath, opening their mouths as if to say something, only to quietly exhale and turn away.

They looked like a couple after a rash breakup, still wanting to be together but afraid to take the first step and fix what they had broken. And Seiseki could only watch and wonder what to do.

Kurusu was honestly relieved when practice was over and he, Nitobe, Nakijin and Shiratori were back in the safety of their classroom. Giving a loud sigh, he slumped down in his chair, stretching out his legs, leaning back his head and closing his eyes.

"Man, practice was awkward today," he groaned, running an exhausted hand through his hair. "What the hell was wrong with the captain and vice-captain earlier? They were acting all weird!"

"Looks like they had a fight," a voice answered behind him.

"A really bad one," a second voice added.

Kurusu jumped five feet in the air. "Kazama! Tsukamoto!" he shrieked, spinning around to face the two culprits. "You wanna give me a heart attack?"

Kazama stepped back to hide behind Tsukamoto, instantly wrapping his arms around his waist. "Rude," he complained with a pout. "Tsukushi would never hurt a fly!"

"I'm talking about you! What's with you and popping up out of nowhere? And what's with you starting to do the same thing, Tsukamoto? Don't learn from him, he's a bad example!" Kurusu groaned and sighed at Kazama, who still looked perfectly unapologetic. "Sheesh, why are you two here anyway? You're not even in this class!"

Kazama grinned. "We have been summoned. I can hear an interesting convo from a mile away."

"I literally just started the conversation!"

"Enough to summon me."

"Nobody summoned you!" Kurusu sat back down, still giving the touchy-feely couple a pointed look. "Go back to your classroom, you gross lovebirds!"

"Don't mind him, Tsukushi, he's just jealous." Kazama smirked at Kurusu's shocked face and furious blush. "Speaking of lovebirds, weren't you guys talking about Kiichiman and Kimishita-kun?"