Brooding

The hive was doing well, there were many food sources being brought into the hive. Drones were constantly ferrying bodies of humans back to the nest, since the warriors were hard at work hunting down the survivors. It had been three years since the first xenomorph had hatched, since the end of the beginning had arrived. In that time, what was once a thriving megalopolis was now home to the perfect organism. Entire skyscrapers were covered in the black wax that made up the nest, scouts were always finding hideouts for the humans tucked away somewhere. It was the perfect home for the hive, their very own paradise.

It was here and now, and only now, that the queen stopped laying eggs. Once the supply of face huggers in which to produce more xenomorphs stopped, the whole colony went into a completely different type of behaviour. Warriors stopped killing and started capturing any humans they found and started patrolling the border while the drones started working overtime to haul hidden meat back to the main nest chambers, even the Praetorians were on edge. For the queen to stop laying eggs during such a prosperous time meant only one thing...

A few days later, when the remaining face huggers had died off, the queen laid just one egg. It was a royal facehugger egg, once that the queen herself guarded jealously. Not one of the other xenomorphs dared approached her, not even her Praetorians. The usually protective guards were spending increasing time in the catacombs where the humans were brought to be impregnated by facehuggers. Since the queen had stopped laying though, there was a surplus of living humans. The drones darted out the way of their much larger sisters, watching as they each picked one human each. Each praetorian brought their chosen human to the queen, who rose and sniffed the humans.

There were six of them, all male with certain traits. The first was a large powerhouse, six and a half feet tall with large shoulders. The second was slimmer and taller, clearly he was a runner build for speed. The third was a scientist, highly intelligent which would give the chest burster a clear advantage in later life. The fourth was increasingly agile, able to jump higher and scramble around nimbly. The fifth was a made for stamina, able to keep going when all others would be exhausted. The queen was internally evaluating the pros and cons of each, which would be the best host and carried the best DNA.

Then she came across the sixth, this one had no outlining quality, he wasn't especially strong nor notably intelligent. He was a solider, a fire in his eyes that told the queen he could be a genuine threat. He was able to think on his feet and improvise, able to build things to use as weapons and command others of his kind. Yes, he would do. The queen gave a low grumble, a signal she'd chosen her host. The other five were brought back to the catacombs for later, they would be used to reproduce once the queen started laying again.

The royal egg moved, opening up slowly. The queen looked at it eagerly, waiting for the facehugger to emerge. The Praetorians backed off and waited for the magic to happen, watching the egg intensely. The royal facehugger slowly crawled out of the egg, it was similar to any other royal facehugger except for the horns and spikes protruding from it. It rushed towards the man, wrapping its tail around his neck and beginning the process of impregnation. The man was soon unconscious, passing out in front of the queen.

The man was pulled towards the queen as she nestled over him, lying around him and wrapping her tail in a circle. She guarded the host ferociously, not even letting any other Xenomorphs near her. She didn't eat for over a week, since she wouldn't leave nor let anything near her. Usually inside a day of the victim being ingeminated, a fully grown xenomorph was ready to continue the service to the hive. This xenomorph wasn't meant to serve the hive, not in the same way at least. The embryo was built to survive, meant to continue in the long run. It was taking its time to grow, to ensure it would be able survive on its own eventually.

Because this xenomorph was a male, one of the few ever produced. It would leave the hive, find a new queen and breed. This xenomorph, would become king...

(Authors note - Sorry for the shortness, but the last OC story I made fell through badly and people just weren't interested. Hopefully this short story will give me an idea if people want it or not.)