Chapter Twenty | Love At First Bite

Start from the beginning

"Because I f--king said so, you moron," I snapped. "Do you contemplate anything?" Any normal Alpha would have backhanded or even growled at me for being so disrespectful, but not Barron. He just stood there as cocky as ever.

"You know, if Matteo wasn't your mate, I'd have you in my bed right now," he declared out of literally no where.

"You know, if Matteo wasn't my mate, I'd kill you," I replied which seemed to have no effect on him at all.

"God, you're so hot," he breathed causing me to roll my eyes.

"You have a mate," I snapped, disgusted by the imbecile in front of me. Did he really think I was about to sleep with him when I had my own sex on legs?

"And?"

"That's cheating, Alpha Idiot," I seethed. He was literally just standing there as if everything he was doing was perfectly fine. It made me want to punch him in the face ten times. If Jack was here, I'm sure Barron would be a goner.

"Farrah and I are complicated," he defended, trying to push it away by being short.

"You mean you're complicated," I fired back.

"No, no, no. That little innocent act she does isn't true. I'm surprised I still have hair left after all the shit she's put me through," he defended.

"So? Be a man. Deal with it," I chided, remembering all of the crap I put Matteo through already. He dealt with it. He dealt with me. "You marked her. I saw it."

"Eh, that was just a reaction to seeing her for the first time," he shrugged.

"Ah, love at first bite?" It wasn't uncommon for wolves to mark their mates upon seeing them for the first time. It wasn't much of a shocker to me. Especially after seeing how Barron is.

"Like I said, complicated."

"Complicated doesn't give you an excuse to sleep around like a sex-crazed pup." Barron's cheeky grin faltered a bit. Apparently, I hit a bit of a nerve.

"I'm no pup, Kai," Barron chuckled, trying to make it seem like what I had just said had no affect on him. I on the other hand visibly cringed. I didn't like him calling me Kai. I only liked it when Matteo did.

"Really? Because no man allows others to disrespect what's his—especially not himself," I concluded, feeling more and more guilty by the second about how I acted this morning. I think Barron noticed because he quickly veered away from my verbal beat down on him and turned it around on me.

"Is that why you're sleeping out here? He do something to you?" Barron interrogated. I shook my head.

"No, it's not like that—"

"Oh, this is about the meeting this morning, huh? All that tension between you two?"

"There wasn't any tension—"

"He was pissed you kept interrupting him and making him look bad and shit, wasn't he?"

"Can you shut up?" I snapped finally annoyed by his constant interruptions. Now, I know how Matteo always feels when he has to argue with me. I stood up and got right in Barron's face. Considering I was practically a head shorter than him, he had to look down at me with a stupid smirk on his face. Obviously, he wasn't threatened by me at all.