Chapter Twenty | Love At First Bite

Start from the beginning

"Barron," I grunted as I released his hand and rolled over so that I didn't have to face him.

"Can I ask a question?" He asked making me groan. This was the worst idea I've ever had. I could have avoided this confrontation so easily, but no. I have to make stupid decisions when I get angry.

"Go for it," I muttered.

"Why are you sleeping on a couch in the lobby?"

"Why aren't you sleeping on a couch in the lobby?" I retorted as I tried to make myself as comfortable as possible on the little couch with a scratchy texture to it.

"Because I value the alignment of my spine," he answered most likely taking in the cramped position I had forced myself into. The couch was not very big. I huffed and smushed myself further into the couch as if it would shield me from Barron's relentless questions.

"Good to know," I muttered as a slight shiver ran through my body. I wasn't really used to sleeping without Matteo anymore, and when I did, I felt cold now. It was an extremely foreign problem considering I'd never had an issue with being cold before.

"You and Matty-boy get into a bit of a spat, huh?" Barron asked, continuing his pestering.

"Don't you have a mate that you should be with right now?" I snapped, trying to think of any way I could to get him to leave me alone.

"Don't you?" With an obnoxious and extremely unladylike groan, I rolled over and sat up. Barron's cocky smirk was already plastered across his undeniably good-looking face with his bulky, tatted arms crossed over his broad chest.

"Seriously, don't you have anything better to do than make me want to kill myself?" I asked. Annoyance flooded my tone causing Barron to chuckle lightly.

"No, not really," he stated simply. "So, why is the budding romance suddenly beginning to crumble?"

"Why do you care so f--king much?" I snapped, becoming more irritated by the second. The more time I spent with Barron, the more I wanted to stick needles in my eyes.

"I enjoy seeing everyone around me fail."

"Please," I scoffed, "the only failure around here was your mother's attempted abortion which resulted with you." Barron faked hurt, putting his hand on his chest where his heart would be if he had one.

"Wow, Kaia. Thanks for reminding me," he joked.

"Anything for you," I smiled sweetly.

"I hope you're this mean to Matteo," he said, shaking his head with a smile. "Poor guy."

"I'm not mean to Matteo."

"Uh huh," Barron drug out obviously not believing a word that I'd said. "I'm sure that's not why four men had to pull him off of an Alpha today during a meeting."

"He didn't attack anyone," I retorted, furrowing my brows in confusion.

"Not in the meeting you were at."

"What meeting?"

"The one I'm supposed to be in right now," Barron advised. I raised my eyebrows at him sending him a silent, judgmental message. "What? I got bored."

"Well, go back," I ordered already knowing there was no way he was about to listen to me.

"Why would I want to do that?" He grinned. He knew that he was annoying me.