10: Okay, Now You Know I'm Your Son

Anakin watched with hope as Luke began to groan. This was the most encouraging sign yet. Before, Luke hadn't moved or made any noise. He had been comatose. 

"Father, don't!" Luke moaned. 

Anakin clasped Luke's hand. "Luke, I'm right here, I'm fine! Wake up!"

Luke tossed his head and muttered about Lava and 'don't fight.'

Eventually, Luke stilled again, no sign of life. Anakin sighed in defeat and reached out through their Force Bond to see if Luke was still trapped. 

Luke's presence seemed annoyed and stuck but not bogged down by darkness anymore. Anakin sunk himself in deeper, risking getting stuck himself. 

Anakin materialized and found Luke sitting cross-legged, face twisted in concentration. His eyes popped open and he raised an eyebrow. "How are you here?" He asked, surprised.

Anakin shrugged. "I'm not really sure, Son, but I had a feeling." 

Luke smiled. "So now you know."

"Yeah. We can talk about it later. Now, let's focus on getting out of here!" 

"That's the thing... I'm not sure how! Qui-Gon told me-" Luke said.

"Master Qui-Gon talked to you?" Anakin interrupted.

"Yeah. He's been guiding me. He said that once I saw something, which I did, I would leave,  but here I am!" Luke said, exasperated.

"Do you want to go back?" Anakin asked.

Luke hesitated. "Yes...I do. I want to save you and defeat Sidious." 

"Alright then. Let's try this together." Anakin sat down cross-legged next to Luke. they closed their eyes and concentrated.

The emptiness seemed to fade and reality rushed back. Anakin opened his eyes and found himself in the chair next to Luke's bed. He looked over at Luke. Luke's eyes opened and he sat bolt upright, and began coughing ferociously. Anakin put a steadying hand on Luke's shoulder. "Easy there. Relax." 

Eventually, Luke stopped coughing and he flopped back into his pillows, exhausted.

The female healer, whose name Anakin had learned was Kyra, came in checked Luke over.

"You'll need to stay here a few more days, Luke. You got lucky. There's no permanent damage but fighting the poison weakened you. If you get the rest you need, you should be back to normal in no time." She patted Luke's shoulder then left them alone.

"Is this later?"  asked Anakin, referring to what he had said before. 

"Sure." Luke said without opening his eyes. "First, how do you know?"

"You know how I intercepted that wave of Darkness? It took me into some of your darkest memories. I saw when you lost your hand and my redemption and death. I did this to you." Anakin said holding Luke's mechanical hand.

Luke shook his head. "No you didn't. The Emperor did."

"Luke, who is he? He was so familiar but I couldn't place him." Anakin asked.

The Force ordered him not to tell. Luke sat up and put his head in his hands. "Oh, Force, why won't you let me tell him?!" He muttered to himself.

When he looked up, Anakin was disappointed but understood. "The Force doesn't want me to know yet. I have to trust that it has a reason." Anakin sighed. "How do I become that monster?"