7: Assasination

7: Assasination

Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Luke walked onto a landing platform overlooking a docking bay where thousands of clones, armored weapons, and tanks were being loaded onto a massive Republic Cruiser.

"You're going to need me on this one, Master." Anakin said, worriedly.

"Oh, I agree. However it may turn out just to be a wild bantha chase." Obi-Wan said before turning to leave.

"Master!" Anakin called.

Obi-Wan stopped and Anakin walked over to him.

"Master, I've disappointed you. I have not been very appreciative of your training . . . I have been arrogant and I apologize...I've just been so frustrated with the Council. Your friendship means everything to me." Anakin said.

"You are strong and wise, Anakin, and I am very proud of you. I have trained you since you were a small boy. I have taught you everything I know. And you have become a far greater Jedi than I could ever hope to be, and you have saved my life more times than I can remember. But be patient, Anakin. It won't be long before the Council makes you a Jedi Master." Obi-Wan said honestly.

Luke, feeling the somber turn the conversion was taking said, "Hey, I know we're saying goodbye but not those kinds of goodbyes!"

All three of them laughed.

"Don't worry. I have enough clones with me to take three systems the size of Utapau. I think I'll be able to handle the situation...even without your help." Obi-Wan said.

"Well, there's always a first time." Anakin joked.

Obi-Wan laughed.

"Obi-Wan, may the Force be with you." Anakin said seriously.

"Good-bye, old friend. May the Force be with you. And with you, Luke."

Obi-Wan headed down a ramp toward the waiting Republic cruiser.

Luke thought he heard Anakin mutter "You better come back, Obi-Wan. I need you..."

Feeling Anakin drifting towards dark thoughts, Luke said, "Come on, let's go train."

Anakin smiled a little and followed Luke.

-SW-

Sidious pulled his hood over his head and contacted Aurra Sing, one of the most notable assassins of the time.

Aurra bowed. "Lord Sidious, what can I do for you?" One of the things Sidious liked about Aurra was that she respected and feared him without making a fool out of herself, She was quite useful and effective.

"I have a target for you. His name is Luke Starstrider. He is staying at the apartment of Padme Amidala. there is one other Jedi there. If you kill the senator or the wrong Jedi you are dead!"

"Understood. Should I use a blaster or poison dart?"She asked.

"Poison. A blaster is to obvious."

"It shall be done." She bowed then ended the transmission.

An evil smile spread across the Sith's face. Soon, so very soon, Anakin would be his.

-SW-

After a long day of training and a late dinner with Padme and Anakin at their apartment, Luke was tired. Luke lay dawn, a tingle through the Force alerted him that he hadn't closed the shades on his window. He shrugged it off. He was too tired to get up so he closed his eyes and fell asleep instantly. His dreams were confused until Qui-Gon came and talked to him.

Hello, Luke. You're making progress with Anakin.

"Thanks, Qui-Gon." Luke answered.

Qui-gon looked around frowning.

"What's wrong?" Luke asked.

I'm not sure... I feel some kind of danger but the Force is clouded. Qui-Gon closed his eyes in concentration then opened them wide in realization.

Luke, wake up!

Luke opened his eyes, then screamed as unbearable agony flared through him.

-SW-

Anakin woke up to a scream of agony and terror. He and Padme sat bolt upright. He looked over at his wife. "LUKE! Padme, stay here!"

Anakin grabbed his tunic and pulled it on as he ran. He found Luke on the floor of his room convulsing and screaming. "Help me!" He screamed.

Anakin quickly looked over Luke, searching for the source of his friend's agony. He found it when he saw the dart sticking out from Luke's neck. Anakin pulled it out but the poison was already coursing through Luke's system.

Anakin scooped up the shorter man and ran to his speeder. He put Luke in the back seat and drove faster than the he ever had before, which was saying a lot.

The assassin must have realized what Anakin was trying to do, because she began to chase him. Piloting one handed, the assassin drew her blaster and shot at Luke. Anakin swerved to stop the blast from hitting Luke but almost hit another speeder. The assassin continued to fire and Anakin continued to dodge. He felt the speeder shudder and in the back seat Luke began to thrash. "Father, no! Don't!"

Oh, great, he's hallucinating!

As he reached the Temple, the assassin swerved away. Anakin was tempted to follow but the need to help Luke won out. Anakin grabbed Luke and ran to the Halls of Healing.

When he arrived, he was out of breath, but a healer took one look at Luke and ordered him to follow her. He ran after her and three other healers joined the group. One took Luke from Anakin and took him to an operation room.

Anakin was forced to watch through the glass wall, clutching the small ledge under the window in despair.

A half an hour later, the healer he originally saw came out. "How is he?" Anakin asked.

"By all rights, he should be dead." the healer said. "It's not only the poison killing him; it's like the Dark Side is attacking him. There's nothing more we can do. It's up to him."

"May I see him, please?" Anakin begged. (A/N: HAMILTON!)

"He won't be able to hear you." the healer reminded.

"I know." Anakin said.

"Go ahead."

Anakin ran into the room and the healers all left. He sat in the seat next to Luke's bed and tentatively stretched out to the young man through their Bond. He recoiled from the torrent of Darkness and pain. How was Luke surviving that?

Then Anakin realized what that meant: Luke probably couldn't.

"Don't give up, Luke! Hold on!"

Just hold on...

*1043 words