CHAPTER 16

I managed to score 213 on my JAMB exam. Dad was elated by my results, and Haneed also backed me when I shared my ambitions of furthering my education and pursuing my dreams.

I had always held Northwest University in high regard since its establishment. A newly founded institution, its temporary campus was situated around the Zoo Road area of Kano State. I envisioned myself as one of its future alumni.

Fueled by my family's support and my husband's encouragement, I resolved to dedicate my utmost effort to my studies if I were fortunate enough to gain admission to the university.

On April 6, 2016, Waheed returned for his second-semester holiday. All family members welcomed him except for me; my absence had left him disheartened. Eiman later filled me in on how Waheed had expressed frustration with Abdoul's behavior. He apologized to our parents for his inability to oversee his brother's conduct abroad, despite their studying in different Scottish universities.

A few days later, Waheed visited me on a Sunday evening, with Haneed also at home. As we watched a short program, Haneed instructed me to don my hijab in preparation for his arrival. I welcomed Waheed to the living room as they exchanged greetings.

Waheed's visit lasted less than an hour before he departed. Amid his brief presence, I couldn't find an opportunity to mention Zarah's wedding, hindered by my overly jealous husband.

Several more days passed, culminating in my best friend's marriage to a prominent local figure. I was well aware of Zarah's true affections, but familial pressure had coerced her into marrying someone else.

I had repeatedly advised her to move on from Waheed, who didn't reciprocate her feelings, but her naivety prevented her from grasping that. The thought of losing Zarah to another family, rather than mine, weighed heavily on my heart. I wished she could be a part of our family, but circumstances didn't unfold as I'd hoped.

Waheed's behavior could be heartless at times—he hadn't even attended Zarah's wedding. Despite receiving a personal invitation, he chose to send only a congratulatory message.

Annoyed with Waheed's attitude, I refused to engage with him following Zarah's wedding. Ignoring his calls and messages, he eventually ceased trying to reach out.

On April 18, 2016, Haneed's father (Alhaji) was admitted to a private hospital due to hepatitis B. His three-day hospitalization caused considerable anxiety for both families.

Nabeeha, flying in from Cairo to Nigeria, was necessitated by the gravity of Alhaji's condition. Doctors had been pessimistic about his chances, but miraculously, Allah SWT proved them wrong, restoring his health.

Concurrently, Haneed sank into another bout of manic depression. Thankfully, his mood improved after his father's discharge.

Two days later, I accompanied Haneed to the hospital to collect his medications.

Until that moment, he had never discussed the specifics of his mental illness with me.

On that day, however, he revealed that he suffered from schizophrenia.

Left momentarily speechless, I finally managed, "InshaAllah, we'll persevere and overcome this illness."

Shaking his head, Haneed disclosed that schizophrenia was a lifelong condition with no definitive cure.

Despite his apparent lack of hope for recovery, I persisted in offering him encouragement, firmly believing in the possibility of miracles.